What can I do to help her ease her fear of shots?

My family and are getting a flu shot we do this every year with no problem now all of a sudden my dd is scared of shots (just out of the blue) she is 7yrs.old anyway she is nerves about that. And now today we all went for a dental clean up found out she has 3 small cavities (OH GREAT THAT WAS I ALL I NEEDED TO HEAR UGH!) So now we have to go back and get those filled so she'll b getting 3 shots for each molar. She is terrified I told her to calm down it is not going to happen today we will have to schedule in advance. What can I do to make her feel at ease about shots. She was so good in the past I don't know what happened.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• See if they can do sedation instead. It's much easier than novocaine.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My mom always told me not to worry because any time that I was hurting then an angel would come down from heaven and make it all feel better. It worked when I was about that age...
    Anonymous

• Tell her she can control the pain. If she tenses up it can hurt. If she relaxes it makes the muscle not tense up so it won't hurt. It's up to her. That worked with all my kids and grandkids. They like control just like adults.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I am pass-out terrified of needles and have been since I was about her age. I'm not sure why I started being afraid either, I just know that I am. I don't look. Close my eyes, turn my head, wear blinders, I just don't look. The fear is still there, but I am not watching it happen. At the dentist, they should be able to give her head phones or bring an MP3 player for her - it helps a lot. Also, let her know that why you sympathize with her fear, there is no getting around necessary procedures. I hope this helps!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i have the same thing w my son that is 7 i have try everthing i have not found anything or ideas
    vmr

Answer by vmr at 11:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My dentist and doctor are really good at dealing with the fear of the shot. They will take her mind off it and give her the shot and most of the time she doesn't even know it. I would discuss her fear ahead of time with the doctor's office so they are prepared. I learned that letting them talk to my child works way better than anything I could say. My kids seem calmed by the doctor talking to them about it rather than me. Good luck to you,.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2010