We created a safe-word. How about you?

My husband works in the oilfield - our primary source of communication has always been text. Some days (I found out) he's juggling two phones, 4 supervisors, a company man, communications with the Ops Mgr and Dist Mgr AND trying to keep up with texts with me.
Whew! Bless his heart.
Well, we're talking about this one night and I told him that I don't want to interfere with his job - but I do love being in constant contact with him - however, I have no way of knowing if he's too busy to be chit-chatting with me and told him that he needs to just tell me when he's too busy. As sweet as he is - he said that he can't bring himself to cut me off - cuz he likes being in constant contact with me too, that sometimes the things I say keep him sane in the midst of all that might be going on -- so I told him to come up with a "safe word" (just like sex ya know) and when he used the safe word I'd know that he's so busy that responding to me is getting pushed to longer times in between --- Well, being the O so imaginative person he is (pun intended) his safe word is..... you ready...... "Safe Word" LOL he's such a goof.

So do you do everything you can to make sure that you don't get crossed signals and have mis-communications with your man when either he or you are so engrossed in work and just can't take the time that the other one wants right now?
How do you handle it?

Just to clarify - he texts me the words "safe word" when he's too busy to chit chat but don't want to hurt my feelings. That lets me know that he's not ignoring me (or napping - which they do between stages sometimes).

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 2:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• LOL thats so cute!! he sounds like an awesome guy!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• No we don't. My hubby usually waits or texts 'I'm on a call' he's a fireman. That's a cute idea about a safe word though.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• He just contacts me when he has time. If not, I know he's busy

Answer by admckenzie at 2:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My husband sends me emails. I answer, he responds when he has time. He usually calls me mid morning..and before he leves for home. LOL< when I read you question title I thought you were talking about safe words or "passwords" with kids. We had those with our boys, and now with the grandkids. They are to get in nobodys car, regardless who it is, unless they know the 'password'. We practice this, address and phone with area code at least weekly.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Nope. He just sends me a quick text or "In meeting" if he sees my message. Sometimes he's so busy he doesn't even hear the phone so I know to just wait until he responds. If it's an emergency I can call his secretary or his desk line.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• This is a good idea we have the same problem sometimes.Glad you shared.
    Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 2:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• yes we do...bananas...all one of us have to say is bananas and we stop what we are doing and pay attention to each other.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My ex and I had one. It was apple.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 3:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• No, but we need one. He just doesn't respond, which annoys the hell out of me, or he tells me he's busy. Which I'm fine with, I understand that. But if he just doesn't respond, I'm mad at him the rest of the day. I mean, how long would it take to say, busy?

So, last week he forgot to turn off his ringer. I called. He got up and went to run out of the room during a meeting. He opened the door and hit himself right in the cheek! Kinda funny, kinda not. That's what he gets for all the times he's ignored me. At least he didn't knock himself out, just silly. A safe word is a great idea. I'll talk with him about it tonight! Great idea.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Great idea. We just use ours for a secret code between the two of us - and just text it to let the other know we're thinking of them. He travels all over the US every week.
    GumboGirl

Answer by GumboGirl at 5:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2010