You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a cop than a terrorist attack ... statistics from 2004 National Safety Council Estimates

http://i.imgur.com/JubgE.png

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• so you who are saying these stats are old . . . do you have newer ones showing a significant shift the other way?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• You said it best yourself.... "statistics from 2004 National Safety Council Estimates".... I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not.... but it's 2010... almost 2011. Just sayin.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• 2004 those statistics are what 7 years old?

Answer by older at 3:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I understand what this council is trying to get at, but they could have gone about it a better way or used a different picture. They make it sound as if police officers go around beating people for no reason.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Come to Las Vegas and your chances of dying from a Metro bullet is way higher. It's been 25 or 26 so far this year. The last one killed by metro was yeilding...
    ....wait for it...
    ....a cane.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I guess this is better than my peanut butter routine.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• popcornStill at it, huh?

MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• These statistics don't mean a thing to me. I'm not a criminal, as are 99.8 % of those killed by police, and neither were the people killed by terrorists. I have more chance of getting hit by lightning or be bitten by a shark-because I live in the lightning and shark bit capital of the world-but I can stay out of storms, and not surf near piers, but I can't fly safely without some irritating, but necessary precautions, that have kept me safe so far, and I hope into the future.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 5:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Sorry if it's not what you are looking for, but I'm still feeling a lot safer with a cop than with a terrorist.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Autodidact, Yes, I have heard of Johannes Mehserle. While I can't say what I would have done in that situation, I do agree that he could have handled it better. However, Oscar Grant was resisting arrest and at the time, Mehserle was not aware that Grant did not have a weapon and under the Garner vs. Tennessee, the Supreme Court did rule that officers can use deadly force if they have probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others. However, as I said before, this "ad" is making it sound like police officers just go up and kill people for no reason. I am not saying that there are not any bad apples in the police department, but at the same time, this so called statistic of 8 times for likely does not apply to the average law abiding citizen.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010