If you have a HIV blood test...

and it comes up negative, are you supposed to be tested later? If so...how much later?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Health

• If it is negative that is it, unless you feel you were exposed again.

Answer by older at 3:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If it is negative that is it, unless you feel you were exposed again.----------------not what i was told

i did test, negative and they said do it again in 6 months
    but this was a few years ago when i was married
    he went to florida, found photos, got tested, they said get tested again in 6 months

maybe tests are different now??
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• from what I have heard its will tell you 6 months after the time you could have been infected for sure if you have it for not. Cause if for example you had unprotected sex 2 weeks ago and think you might be infected and test right then and there it might as well not show up that fast. I heard after 3 months it should be fine but to be save repeat it again in another 3.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 3:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I believe you are suppose to be tested again 6 months after the incident.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

not necessarily true, there is a window after which you may have been infected yet not test positive yet. If you have engaged in high risk behaviors which led you to be tested to begin with, you should have a follow up test in 6 mos.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If you are having unprotected sex, you should be tested yearly I think is the recommendation.. I would ask your Dr or health dept about frequency..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It can take several weeks for a test to come back positive after exposure. I was recommended to test again after 8 weeks when I was exposed to the blood of an individual who was HIV+.
    I've had an HIV test after ever new sexual partner, and had several while I was married (my ex cheated. A lot). Those I assumed were correct, and have continually come back neg.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I stand corrected ladies, never had an STD and a negative to me would be the end.

Answer by older at 3:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• The only time I needed a HIV test was when I was kidnapped and raped. They did the test in the ER and told me to have it done again 6 months later. Thankfully both were negative.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 3:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• When I was a bad girl--- drugs and sex and such I had one every 6 months, now that I am better, I have a test once a year, and if I am ever sick with something weird (like and infection that will not go away with meds) I get tested again---always negative, But I am just saying--- it is not only AIDS now that will kill ya---they have that cervical cancer human pappalomia virus(hpv) thing (it is running rampant where I live at least (if you talk to 40 of my girl friends at least 30 or more have had some kind of HPV related issues), and hep C is no fun either
    Anonymous