What is the point of Confession?

From what I've been told, supposedly god knows everything you say, think, feel, and do... before you do any of it, in fact. So why are followers of some religions expected to tell a priest what they did wrong, and have the priest impose punishment? God already knows you did it, clearly you know it was wrong if you're confessing it, and I was under the impression that, as long as you repented, god would forgive you... so what's the point of the middle man? Why can't you just say "sorry god, that was stupid of me, I'll never do it again"?
Not trying to be rude here, this has baffled me for awhile now. If there is some part of this I am missing, please explain.

Koukla12905

Asked by Koukla12905 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sometimes it feels better just to SAY it out loud..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• The theory is if you have to speak it out loud to another human being, then you are holding yourself accountable. If it is just between you and God, you can ignore it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'm Catholic and I don't go to confession. I'd rather pray to God and ask for forgiveness if I've done something wrong.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I was raised as a catholic, and this is the one thing I never understood, specially when priest are just mere mortals like the rest.

Answer by older at 3:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• there is no point in confesding to another man . your relationship should only be between you and god . you need to confess to god not another man bcuz in the end only one person can judge you and thats god . not your priest or pastor bcuz they gotta go before god just like you do ,
    teenmum11

Answer by teenmum11 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• As a former Catholic, I can see the psychological benefits to confession. Saying it OUT LOUD and admitting your faults to another human being can be helpful. And depending upon your Confessor (the priest hearing your confession) your penance (not punishment) can also be helpful.

In 7th grade I did an experiment. I confessed the same sin to 2 different priests. "I stole $5 from my mother's purse." (Just to make it legit, I did steal e $5 from her on 2 different occasions.) From one priest my penance was 5 Our Father's, 5 Hail Mary's, and 5 Glory Be's for 5 consecutive nights. The other had me do 5 extra chores for my mother.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I've often wondered the same thing.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I agree. Maybe it just feels like you've absolved yourself saying to someone you know for a fact heard you? As far as the punishment part...ya I'd probably ignore that bit personally.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• raised catholic... in recovery now for 30 years

confession makes you embarrassed, and the gulit goes up too (and there is always lots of guilt to start with in catholics)
    standing in line to tell all, makes you sweat bullets
    and then you get to kneel, even on young knees this is uncomfortable and places you in a postion of less than (priest is on other side of screen sitting in comfortable chair

therefore making chances you do this sin again less likely
    that is what i think of confession
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I don't think by confessing it to a priest, that you have been absolved. Part of the point of penance is that you reflect on your sin while doing the penance. Good Catholics use the time spent doing their penance, trying to work out how to make right what they have done wrong.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2010