A question for Catholics

If the bible entreats us to "be fruitful, and multiply" and the catholic church is against its congregants using any form of birth control, why aren't catholic clergymen allowed to marry and produce children? Since they are the leaders of the catholic community, and one would assume they are setting the example for everyone else to follow, wouldn't it make more sense if they were required to get married and attempt to have kids, or if it weren't banned for them, at least? Why would the church tell everyone else to have a bunch of kids, but not the ones who are leading them?

Koukla12905

Asked by Koukla12905 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Jesus taught the value of celibacy for the sake of the kingdom in Matt 19:11-12. The Apostle Paul endorses celibacy for those capable of it (1 Cor 7:8-9) and prefers celibacy to marriage (1 Cor 7:27-34).

If a priest is celibate, he is concerned about the affairs of the Lord, but if a priest is married, he is anxious about the affairs of his wife and the world. A priest can be a better priest if he is unmarried.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Because the congregation is the priest's family, part of the reason they call him Father. He is married to God and a wife would distract him from his duty to the church and his congregation.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• catholic church is against its congregants using any form of birth control...church tell everyone else to have a bunch of kids...

This is not true.  The Church is against contraception but not every form of birth control.  NFP is considered a form of birth control, and DH & I practice it.  We have 3 kids, spaced 2 1/2 years apart, and our youngest is 5, all thanks to NFP.  And I have irregular cycles, too (I usually don't ovulate til day 20).

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Greek Orthodox church ...aren't strict about birth control

I think you may be witnessing people who don't practice what they preach.  The Greek Orthodox should be practicing NFP as their form of birth control, just as Roman Catholic.  It's sad that a couple in such am influencial position are pretenders.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:23 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• 1 timothy 4: 1-5....are things taught by demons.

When Paul warned of those who "forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods," he had in mind people with the Manichean belief that sex is wrong and certain foods like meat are immoral.  Sex is good and is why the Catholic Church has marriage as a sacrament.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• "If a priest is celibate, he is concerned about the affairs of the Lord, but if a priest is married, he is anxious about the affairs of his wife and the world. A priest can be a better priest if he is unmarried."

THIS! ^^^^

Also, I am Catholic and I used birth control. NFP allowed me to space my first two four years apart. It actually worked too well, or so I was beginning to think. I often wondered if I wasn't able to get pregnant because I was following it very closely and never once had so much as a false alarm or anything. And the Church never once told me that I should go off and have a bunch of kids and be like the Duggars or something. Sheesh, it's not like we're all a bunch of rabbits wanting to get it on every chance we get just so we can keep popping out babies.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• "All I meant was I was under the impression the church frowned upon birth control."

You were under the impression, but you shouldn't talk as though you really know, unless you are Catholic. And the only birth control that is frowned upon is the "unnatural" kind. NFP is better for you in every way anyhow. No chemicals ravaging your body, no worries about breakage, just a better knowledge about your body and your cycle. I see it as a win-win situation when practiced correctly.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• While I am not a member of the Greek Orthodox church, my husband was raised as one, and from what he has told me their priests have always been able to marry and have children, so I don't believe they are pretending.

Sorry, I meant pretending, as in disobedient or hypocritial in their practice of birth control only, not about marriage.

But in regards to marriage, Greek Orthodox men who are married are allowed to become priests, but Greek Orthodox men who are priests but not already married are not allowed to date and marry while they are a priest.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Because they get married to their faith.......

Answer by older at 3:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I suppose that makes sense, I started wondering about it b/c the priest at my MIL's Greek Orthodox church is married with 2 kids, and they aren't strict about birth control. Seemed like the church talking out of both sides of its mouth, but I understand not wanting the priests to have obligations that come before the church.
    Koukla12905

Comment by Koukla12905 (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2010