What is your child's understanding of death?

Some time ago my 3 year old dd was talking about dead things. You know, kids talk, like when they play and shoot you with their index finger.
And I asked her: "What do you think "dead" is?" And she instantly replied: "Then you can't eat anymore! ... Or play."

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my 3 year old sort of understands it... we talked, since our fish died, that when things die they don't live anymore which means no eating, no breathing, no playing, no moving...
    then she picked up her doll the next morning and said "mama can i bring my dead baby to school with me?"...
    guess i need to do some more explaining...
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• We have had thorough talks on the subject with out little ones. Mostly because of my Grandma dying and them being at the viewing and funeral. They know that once we die our bones deteriorate and we are conscious of nothing. My inlaws tell them about heaven and what they believe happens after death. So my older two at the ages of 3 and 5 have a few different views.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• my son knows that when something/someone dies it means that they are not alive anymore, and that they will never come back.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My daughter has had to actually deal with reath death. We lost my Grandma and she and my daughter were very close. We also had to put our dog down. She knows that people leave and go to Heaven and that you don't get to see them anymore. However, sometimes she does like to say that she wants to go to Heaven just for a little while to visit our family and then come home.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 5:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• *real death. Sorry for the typo
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 5:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My kids say when people die that they go to a better place but that is just what they get from me saying it
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My 4 YO understands that when a person dies, we no longer get to see them. She understands when one dies they either get buried in a cemetery, or can be in an urn (My MIL's urn is in our living room). She feels people can die if they are old or really sick. That's as far as she'll go with it right now.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• my 3 year old sort of understands. We went through my grandfather dying in May & my grandmother dying in October.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'm not sure that my son understands but I tell him when we die we go to this beautiful fun loving place called Heaven. And one day we will all be together again. But I think he thinks we will all go there together. I don't feel right telling him that that most likely won't be the case because I don't want him to be anxious about it. He's 4
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010