Ethical dilemma could affect either mine or my husband's job. Help!

6 months ago, my DH and my place of employment got a billboard sign. Recently, my DH's boss was told that sign was for nonprofits only, and that the hotel I work for would need to be removed. DH's boss plans to remove the hotel, but NOT tell my boss. Not only that, but he wants my DH to remove it. Only my husband and his boss know about this at his work. We both feel this is wrong. BUT what do we do? If I tell my boss, my husband's job is on the line. If don't tell, MY job is on the line. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Relationships

• I would love to answer but I don't think I understand the entire situation... I hope you get other people who can help!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• SORRY!! Let me try to clear it up. My employer and my husband's employer rented a billboard. BUT now my employer's part of the sign needs to be removed. My husband's boss doesn't plan on telling my boss, but DOES plan on keeping his share of the money used on the sign. My husband's boss hinted that if MY boss finds out, my husband's job could be at risk. I respect my boss SO much and don't want him hurt, but if I don't tell him about what is going on, I think MY job may be at risk. Do I tell or do I not tell?
    Anonymous

• well i would go with who makes more money? if you do then you tell if he does then don't tell. also if you did tell and you husband got in trouble he could fight for his job for firing him for no apparent reason. i would tell someone else and have them be the one to tell. but you'd still be in trouble. i would have your husband just tell the boss hey i won't be party to that and if you fire me i will sue you or put a complaint to you about this and say that you already told this other boss and if he gets fired then you have the proof that thats what his intention was even though you really hadn't told. i don't know it seems your screwed. what this guy is doing sounds illegal so tell some complaint dept for labor place that regulates business ethics.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• What a grinch DH's boss is!!! Is this billboard not in plain view of the general public??? What makes this guy think he will get away with it??? Like no one will see it???

Has the money changed hands yet? You can tell your boss to pay the sign company directly when he approves the final art design for the bill board.

companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 9:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Tell your boss. People should not have put you in the position that they have, but since they DID, you are morally obligated to your employer to speak the truth to him.

Of course, you may not wish to take advice from me, I was once terminated for refusing to go along with an illegal scheme. Then again, I may have drawn a little unemployment, but I could still look myself in the eye and feel good about it.

Good luck--sounds like a sticky place to be.
    OhSusan

Answer by OhSusan at 12:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2008