The hospital sabotaged my breast feeding plan. HELP!

Just had our baby boy on November 19th and we had him latch on emediatley and he fed semi regularly about every four to six hours or so but the hours began to fuctuate because I had a c- section and was at the mercy of busy nurses so he never formed a routine. They though maybe he had jaundice and so after breast feeding they gave him a bit from a bottle of formula in order to encourage more stool processing. Once he had the bottle he began to flat out refuse me. Now he is three days old and home and hasnt eaten since his last bottle at the hospital about 8 hours ago and prefers to sleep as apose to breast fed from me. All I am still producing is colostrum. Should I buy a breast pump and bottle feed him my breast milk or should I stick with forcing my breast on him, or should I break down and use formula?

SunshineSandie

Asked by SunshineSandie at 4:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep trying to breastfeed, if you are too full, you may have to pump a little to make it easier for him to latch on.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 4:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I hope you have joined the breastfeeding group on here. They would ahve a lot of ideas and support for you. Look under the groups tab. Also call your pediatrician for advice. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i would try to keep bfing, he will get back in the game and as long as he is trying he is getting something out.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Omg. I know this isnĀ“t helpful, but the same thing happened to me. My son refused to take my breast even after I put the breast milk in his bottle. GL! I hope some Moms will have advice that will help!
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Wake him up. Take off his clothes and make him uncomfortable. Rub the bottoms of his feet, use a cool washcloth on his back until he is fully awake and try again to feed him. Do not give in and give him another bottle. Take off your shirt and get some skin to skin contact. Hold him like that until he starts eating. You can cover both of you with a blanket, but make sure he is getting the skin to skin. Keep offering the breast. If your breast is too full it will be hard for him to nurse, hand express some milk so your breasts aren't too hard to feed from.
    Call your hospital's lactation consultant or your local La Leche League to see if you can get someone to come out and help you.

Good LUCK!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Also you can squeeze your colostrum into his mouth and that should get him interested.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I don't know if you are still taking the pain pills for your c-sec, but I had to quit taking mine with my first child. Once I did he was a lot easier to wake up to breast feed.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 4:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'm sorry to hear that, It was to be your choice, You can keep trying to have him take your breast, But, if you really want him to have your milk in the meantime get a pump and give him milk that way, but keep trying your breast, I hope it gets better for you!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Definitely stick with it- there is still time to get this back on track and your milk should be in any time now, the colostrum is enough in the meantime. Keep putting him to breast, every hour if you have to- it will be worth it in the end if a little tiring for you now. The skin to skin contact is so important- take your clothes off and his (not diaper) and get close. The skin to skin contact releases hormones for both of you that promote breastfeeding. Try different holds to see if he likes one better. Definitely try to get a lactation consultant to come to your house and help you asap- they are a great resource so call the hospital or your county health dept or La Leche League. And wake him up to eat, if you rub your pinky along his jawline when you are trying to get him to latch it will stimulate sucking reflex, as well as gently pushing the nipple in and out of his mouth or rubbing it on his lips a little. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Stick with it! It is so worth it! Keep trying to get him to latch. If you can't get him to latch, express a small amount of milk (mostly for your comfort) and try an alternate feeding method. Finger, cup, syringe, spoon. Anything but a bottle. Your milk should be coming in anytime now. Baby is only a couple days old and doesn't need a whole lot; they have extra fat stores and thats why they loose weight in the first week waiting for the milk to come in. At this point in time, what your baby actually needs can be measured in drops, not ounces. I second joining the Breastfeeding Moms group here on CM. Good luck.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 8:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2010