Will I have to pay for a new floor? (details inside)

We have had water leaking in our bathroom from somewhere ever since we moved into this apartment a month ago. I have called the landlord 3 times and 3 times the repair guy has come out here and they can't find a leak. The ladlady asked me if it could be the baby dumping water on the floor or something. I just told her the truth: we have a safety handle on the bathroom door and he doesn't go in there unless I take him in there to bath him and brush his teeth. I think she thinks that I am lying about the leak so unless it gets really bad I am just not going to call her about it again. When the handman left a little while ago he just told me to keep an eye on it. My question is will I have to pay for the floor to be replaced if it rots out from the water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Make sure you have documented the phone calls to your landlord about the leak, and any details (handyman's name, what he's done. etc.) You shouldn't be liable for a floor replacement since you've been telling them this is an issue - but it's always best to cover yourself just in case.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Of course not, it is not yours to begin with the landlord is responsible.

Answer by older at 4:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• could it be leaking from another apartment or something? maybe a pipe busted in the wall?..i don't know much about this, butyou should not have to be held responsible to replace the floor...check your contract over (we had an issue when we rented, that we got threatened with eviction....i was in the hospital having my dd when all this happened..it's what we came home to) apartment management are sneaky and kind of "dirty", so def look at what it says...if it comes down to it, when you move, they'll use your deposit money to replace the floor. if it keeps up, you deffinitely need to keep complaining to your landlord until they actually do something about it...you might also look into your state's laws on this kind of stuff...good luck.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 6:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2010