At what age is it okay to start your baby on a schedule??

Just wondering what you guys think??  My son is now 7 weeks. & i have just been feeding on demand. he is bottle fed by the way.

CassieM2B

Asked by CassieM2B at 4:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From the minute the baby is born.....

Answer by older at 4:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Right away! The sooner the better!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I pretty much let my daughter set her own schedule and I watched for her cues. At 7 weeks about the only thing I could count on was that she woke most days at 9:30 or so and needed her first nap by 11:00ish, and it was a safe bet she would sleep again around 3:00. Other than that it was hit or miss at that age, and I nursed so I always fed on demand. It was most often 2-3 hours between feedings, sometimes a little less or more depending on the day. It wasn't until about 6 months that she really got into a schedule of two predictable nap times a day and a more set eating schedule. I think it's really best to watch for the cues from your baby- if your child is an early riser they will need an earlier morning nap than a late sleeper will, and if you try to force the opposite you are just going to be battling a lost cause. If you work with what they are predisposed to it makes it much easier to set a schedule. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• As soon as they start sleeping through the night. I agree that sooner is better. But, a newborn is going to want to eat when he/she wants to eat. That is why the first few weeks are the hardest. But, 7 weeks..I'd say that you should go for it.
    oneofeach26

Answer by oneofeach26 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'd start now, but I'd try to work with the baby's natural schedule. If you aren't sure what his natural schedule is try writting down his feeding and sleeping patterns for a few days and use that for a guide.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• The sooner the better!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• The schedule should be set by him from the very beginning. Most all infants have a schedule from the beginning. Even when it is feeding and nap on demand it usually falls around the same time of day. Which means you try and keep it that way. Not only for the infant, but for you, so you both know what to expect.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I started all 5 of my kids on a schedule as soon as we got home from the hospital (actually while we were still in the hospital with the 4th and 5th since they were csections and we were there for 4 days).

Answer by missanc at 10:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• You don't put baby on a schedule; baby puts YOU on a schedule. But most babies will develop their own routine by a few weeks old or so. You'll know approximately when they need to eat, sleep, nap, etc. because they put themselves on that schedule.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I always feed on demand.. it's natural. =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2010