Unplugging family..what to do?

I want to unplug my kids from tv and computer time. I know you can't break a habit without replacing it with something. If I had the extra money I'd buy more activities/hobbies/toys, but I really can't. They aren't really into sports. Any ideas for new hobbies, busy work?

aussiegirl3

Asked by aussiegirl3 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Entertainment

• How about a family project? Maybe woodworking or some other craft. The kids and I just made a 'transmitter' the other day out of an old satelite dish, a screw, some string and cardboard..... The kids are bummed it doesn't really work but it did keep them prety busy pretending! How bout making soap? It counts as chemistry and you can get all you need in the grocery/hardware/craft store. Let me know if you want some tips on the how to front!
    Theresa1073

Answer by Theresa1073 at 11:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Well, if you can invest in a good used WII, you can also purchase used sport games. The WII makes your kids interact like playing tennis/golf/baseball etc...
    I will tell you what......I break one hell of a sweat when i play against them!!!
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 8:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I would start by just cutting it back in un-noticable time amounts like 15-30 minutes a day. After school and before dinner, just make a "new rule about family pitch-in nights" for dinner. They all help prepare dinner (all ages are helpful). This gets them away from the TV and games, but lets them know that #1, it's about dinner, #2, doesn't mention cutting back TV or games... only focusing on dinner. Then, try in the mornings too. My son always had to have the TV on in the mornings. I started telling him that when he's dressed, lunch is made and breakfast is eaten, the TV can go on. Instead of rushing him now, I let him take his time and before he knows it, it's time for school and no time for TV. We haven't watched TV in the mornings now for a month!
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 8:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• good old board games....my kids always loved them and now the grands do too. Some of them make me nuts..like Mousetrap and such..but as they get older games like LIFE and CLUE or Stratego and RISK become good options. At one point we had a game of Risk that went on for 5 weeks on the dining room table. ( we eat at the kitchen table mostly). In betweens they loved things like Sorry and aggravation. Parcheesi..they've all known since about 6-7 yrs old....now its cut throat..lol.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• We actually went ahead and did a few weeks of NO tv altogether... and I think it truly helped on my limiting it with the kids now. Instead if they ask to watch TV, play on the computer or play a video game, I tell them to pick up a book or to find something they haven't played with in awhile. If they groan, I just offer the idea of writing an essay or a report for me... seems to work! :-)

Also, I put together "Minute Cards" that they earn for finishing their school work. They earn 10 minutes of computer or video game time with each lesson... so by the end of the day, they can earn up to 60 minutes worth. We only allow them to use 30 minutes each day though, and this also has helped in unplugging them.
    cmy3kids

Answer by cmy3kids at 9:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My kids lost a movie case from the library. I told them no tv until they found it. The first three days were really hard but it just kept getting easier. My kids became best friends again because they only had each other for at home entertainment. (We never did find the case and eventually the tv got turned back on...) Good luck and stick with it.
    jenseney

Answer by jenseney at 9:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'm not sure how old the kids are, but my daughter (age 12) likes boondoggles (sp?) They are plastic (very long) multi-colored strings that you make keychains out of? Sounds boring but all her friends have been making them for at least a year. And with Christmas around the corner?....Also, how about good old potholders! (trying to keep cost in mind) There are many cheap crafts at the art stores here..(ac moore, michaels...) the black velvet painting w/ markers activity? How old are your children? Books? I also bought a cheap microscope at one time. They can get things from outside and put in the slides and check it out. Hope I helped!
    nkasmom

Answer by nkasmom at 8:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My nephew was stuck to the computer until he took up cooking and loves it! That was years ago and he is now 17. He still plays video games in the computer but he takes time to find new recipes and socializes with the family.

My son is 7 and we are big on video games so TV is not a problem but he loves a good book so, there is always a family trip to the Barnes & Nobles to get the monthly supply of books.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 12:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Don't forget that you can pick up used copies of books and games from various sources. Half Price Books is fantastic, if you have them in your area. And my kids LOVE to go to the library! They have tons upon tons of resources there.

Games and puzzles abound at Goodwill and at garage sales. Just make sure they have all of their pieces.

Chalk - cheap and it creates tons of things to do - drawing, make a hopscotch board. create game boards on the ground and play with dice and pebbles.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I found an armload of board games at goodwill for 1.50 a piece. You can't beat that.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 12, 2008