Vaginal vs. C-section birth..do you have experience with both? adult content

I am curious to hear stories about your vaginal vs. c-section births. I had my first daughter vaginally. While pushing I was given an episiotomy and then had a 4th degree tear. Which for anyone who's had one knows, they are very very painful. This pregnancy I have a low lying placenta, which is being monitored. My OB told me that based on my previous vaginal birth experience and my low lying placenta I can chose to either go with another vaginal birth or a c-section. I expressed concern to her about having another 4th degree tear and she told me that if you tear once, you are most likely to tear again. The doctor also said that with the low lying placenta she won't automatically opt for a c-section unless I choose to, or have hemorrhaging while laboring.

So, I am curious to see who has had one of each type of births. What were the pros and cons of each. Would you have done anything differently?

oneofeach26

Asked by oneofeach26 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I only had vaginal but one with epidoral and the other with out. I would do it without epidoral again if I end up going through it all again! It hurt but not as much as I expected!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I had two vaginal, then a c-section (emergency, complete placenta previa). I recovered quicker from the vaginals, and I didn't have to stay int he hospital as long (24 hours vs. 4 days for the c-section). I would not have had the csection if our lives didn't depend on it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I say I have experience with both. I was a labor and delivery nurse. With my son, I was induced, went to 10 cm in about 10 hours and pushed for three hours, before havign a csection. I think that qualifies, lol!!!!1
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I've done both, and given the choice I'd choose vaginal every time. I'll admit that the c-section recovery wasn't as horrific as I'd imagined it would be, but it was definitely a longer more drawn out process than the vaginal recovery. Also, the spinal anesthesia made me VERY naseous, and I spent at least 8 to 10 hours throwing up while unable to move the lower part of my body; it's really hard to enjoy your new baby(s) when you're in that position.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• (No I haven't had a cesarean.)

But since you don't have a full previa and *can* birth your next baby without so much as a skid mark (it's HOW you labor that is most relevant), I would absolutely suggest that you avoid an unnecessary cesarean.
    For your health and safety and for your baby, avoid unnecessary risks, especially big ones like surgery.

Episiotomies are optional, pretty unnecessary and cause greater tearing op top of the cut. Avoiding that to begin with will be important.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• "Typically at 16 weeks the placenta takes up 25-50% of the surface area. Also the third trimester brings a growth of this lower uterine segment, that out flanks the growth of the placenta.
    For these reasons, while 5% of pregnancies are diagnosed with complete previa in second trimester ultrasounds will see 90% of them resolved by term and while 45% of pregnancies are diagnosed with marginal previas will see 95% resolved at term.
    A follow up ultrasound will be done, and as noted above the vast majority of previas are not seen."

"Like any surgical procedure, episiotomy carries a number of risks: excessive blood loss, haematoma formation, and infection. . . . There is no evidence . . . that routine episiotomy reduces the risk of severe perineal trauma, improves perineal healing, prevents fetal trauma or reduces the risk of urinary stress incontinence."

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i had both and vote c-sec
    Anonymous

• My 1st child was born via c-sec because she was frank breach, my 2nd was premature and I had a natural vbac it hurt like hell and even though he was small he still tore me internally, I had to have stitches and that made sex uncomfortable even after 6 weeks, My 3rd I elected for a c-sec and this time I hope for another c-sec.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 4:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would really look at the likelihood of ripping a second time around because I do not think she is quite right. I could be way off base. But I had a 4th degree tear as well the first time around but my second and third time I really only had small fissures, nothing in comparison.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would go vaginal in a heartbeat. More painful and drawn out during labor, but when you are done you are done. With a C-section you can't even get out of bed on your own the first night. Who wants a big cut across thier stomach? (yes, I had both) And I couldn't hold the baby for over 1.5 hours because I had to go the recovery room.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010