Breastfeeding -- Please don't judge.

I have done a lot of research about breastfeeding vs. formula and for myself it's come down to formula. My question is, for those of you who don't breastfeed what is the reasoning(s) you tell me your not? People around here seem to be very judgemental and I don't want to be Judged. WIC also pushes breastfeeding and I have no idea what i'm suppose to say when they ask why i'm not..

lilchica943

Asked by lilchica943 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When WIC asks why, if they do, just tell them that the decision you've made is best for your family. No one should ever judge you for how you feed your baby, all that matters is that the baby is not going hungry.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I tried to breastfeed both of my girls and I just could not make very much milk and for me breastfeeding was a miserable, painful experience. I don't think you owe ANYONE an explaination as to why you chose formula. Simply tell them that formula is your choice. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I chose not to breastfeed any of my 3 children for many reasons, but the bottom line is that I was uncomfortable doing it. I refused to try, and I don't regret that decision. You have to do what's right for you and your family, regardless of what anyone says. By the way, all of my children are very healthy, we have great relationships, and I don't believe they suffered because of my choice.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I formula fed my first three because I'd never been around a breast feeding woman in my life, wasn't educated about it and thought it gross, time consuming and scary. I'm pregnant with my fourth and since this is my last, I'm going to give breast feeding a shot.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My first gut reaction was that I just didn't want to do it. I did the research too, but honestly, I was not comfortable. I also was afraid of giving it a shot out of guilt because breastmilk is the best, but having a tough time. I didn't want to be stressed or upset for the first few weeks and months of her life because I couldn't. I don't regret my decision. Its allowed my husband and even our 2nd grader to take part in her feedings. I'm a happy, calm mom which I think has translated into a happy, calm baby and it was the right decision for me and our family.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Im sorry but it hurt waaaaay too bad for me. I did pump and feed for three/four months but it just got to be too much because I went back to work. Leaky breasted waitresses don't go over well. lol
    mommac10

Answer by mommac10 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Tell them why you do not want to!
    I myself nursed until my girls were 12 months and would not have it any other way! Free! GREAT Bonding! The most healthiest! But Everyone is differant!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I did not breast fed any of my three, simply because my gut told me not to, I did not want to do it, and I wasn't about to do something I did not want to do to please no one. You do not need to explain yourself to no one, but yourself....

Answer by older at 4:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Believe me I tried with my son, I took classes on how to do it correctly. I tried exclusively to breast feed when my son was born and he lost 3lbs in 2 days (from7 to 4lbs) My boobs were black and blue not to mention bleeding, and I continued to try, the nurse was very rude and didn't want to help me. I tried the nipple plates to help my nipples pertrude, I saw a lactation specialist and tried there suggestions, I pumped every 2 hours every day (all I would get together was 2ounces). After going threw all this with no success, I just gave up and went to formula.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Thanks for all of your comments.
    lilchica943

Comment by lilchica943 (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010