So when did you switch from pediatrician to family doctor?

Just curious at what age you decided to switch. I don't have any immediate plans and don't know if I even will until he's much older (he's 3 1/2 now). However, he isn't too fond of his pedi (honestly the guy hasn't done anything wrong, my son has just been freaked out ever since he had ear infections and his pedi had to check his ears).

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• When they were around 10 to 12... Our family doctor is amazing and our pedi is his daughter so we have a pretty good situation with them!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 4:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I know people who used a family doctor from the beginning. I'm not too fond of my daughter's ped either (and it's a shame because her office staff is wonderful) but I don't know if we'll change any time soon.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 4:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have used family doctor from the start. I live in a rural area, and the nearest ped is an hour away, but there are many family practices locally.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 5:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• When our kids were about 10. We live in a small town with limited choices and the peds office was always busy but the same day clinic had appts so we went there and kept going.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 5:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I had a friend who was still seeing at ped at 17 and was very upset he was going to have a to find a new doctor when he turned 18!
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 6:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Right now my kids don't have a doctor at all.  We moved here in August and haven't had a reason to find one other than the baby and he's not on our insurance at the moment so we can't take him in anyway.  We'll probably be using a family doctor for all of us except the baby because he's here in town.  The closest pediatrician in our network is a 25 minute drive away.

I used a pediatrician until I turned 18.  The last time I saw her was to get my physical for college (I was already 18 at the time but since I was still in high school she saw me).  She's the only regular doctor I've ever had.  Since I outgrew her I've never had a primary care provider and have only seen a doctor while pregnant (my OB).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Our family doctor has seen our kids since birth, we never used a specific pediatrician. Both of our options here in town would be at the bottom of my list, but I love our family doctor.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2010