Does anyone else think constant eating in a diagnosed adhd child be an oral sensory problem?

My 8 yr. old is constantly eating.She has been diagnosed w/adhd but, I believe she has aspergers! she is overweight and now I am thinking it could e an oral ensory problem.Anyone else with this kind of problem with aspergers or adhd child? Thanks!

ROSA6622

Asked by ROSA6622 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I think you're making excuses for her that enables her constant eating. I don't believe it's aspergers or an oral sensory problem. I believe that she is eating out of boredome, to surpress feelings, or just because she is allowed to. ADHD children are not constant eaters, as well as aspergers children are not constant eaters. Constant eating is not a symptom of those disorders at all. I really think you're trying to find a diagnosis, so that you don't have to take responsibility for the fact that your daughter is overweight. That you're allowing her to overeat and continue to be overweight. You really need to step back and see the real issue here. That your daughter is simply overeating beacuse she can and is overweight. That she will not change unless you and her make a change in her eating habits and instill a healthy excersise program. Don't hide behind disorders, because they're not the problem.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Actually, no. The reason I say that is that my son does have severe oral sensory issues and what that means is that they canNOT handle food in their mouth because of textures. If your son is overeating, that's in relation to something else, but definitely NOT an oral sensory issue.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 5:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i think it means that she's not eating enough at one sitting, being offered or having access to food at all times, and no one is telling her to stop. if she is overweight take a look at WHAT you are letting her eat. if she eats healthy items all day long, and is an active kiddo... she should be fine.
    and oral sensory issues, i agree with the previous poster, usually are things that are NOT handled, not over eating.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• You should have her tested for food sensitivities. These can cause behavioral problems that manifest like symptoms of adhd & aspergers. It can also cause overeating because certain nutrients are not being absorbed. Ask for a food panel rast test for IgE & IgG antibodies. It is done by blood draw.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:15 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My child and all children I know with ADHD/ADD do NOT eat constantly, usually it's the opposite.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'd talk to the Dr
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My son has Asperger's and is an oral sensory seeker. He chews on clothes and constantly puts thing sin his mouth to chew or suck on. He doesn't over eat. When he puts things in his mouth it if for the feeling of having something in his mouth not hunger. He has full access to fruit but must ask for anything else. I think at 8 you still have a lot of control over what food goes into her mouth and any disorder has nothing to do with it. Even if it did, you are the adult and she is the child. You can make it stop.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:08 AM on Nov. 28, 2010