GED? 2 part question...

Who has gotten their GED and still got a good paying job? Are there any good/free websites to help me study for my GED?

TiffanieAnn

Asked by TiffanieAnn at 5:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• MY OPINION: A GED will never land you as good a job as a diploma or degree would.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• ...I've never known anyone to get their GED and get a good job. They always end up in the restaurants ( servers, cooks, etc...) and fast food places. Sometimes even minium paying department stores.

Good luck though.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I had ALL my credits in high school...BUT failed the FCAT by 2 POINTS!!!!!! Thats why I have to get my GED...not my choice...atleast its something
    TiffanieAnn

Comment by TiffanieAnn (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My sister found out that many employers hold the opinion that a GED is code for 'this applicant is a total idiot.'

The GED is a series of exams. You just need to find someone who will allow you to take that one course for credit. You have far too many credits to bother with a GED.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• A GED is the same thing as a Diploma anymore. However, a lot of people do look down on those with a GED. It's more them judging you then anything. However, a GED alone will not get you very far, just as a diploma won't get you very far. A degree will get you the farthest, but I believe that just any old degree is a waste of time. It should be in a field you plan to make a career.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Thank you! I do plan to go to nursng school and specialize in Labor & Delivery...
    TiffanieAnn

Comment by TiffanieAnn (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have a GED. It is suppose to be the same as a highschool diploma and employers by law cannot discriminate between them. After getting my GED I landed a store manager job but I quit to stay at home and go to school. I now have a AS in Psychology and I am attending college again to become a RN. If you want a good job I wouldnt say that a GED/highschool diploma is going to get you a high paying job like a college degree would, but if you want to go to college your going to need your GED. I bet if you go to your local testing center they have plenty of study guides avaliable. One thing you should know about a GED is that it is not just one test, its a serious of tests to make sure your ready for the GED exam. After you pass those your allowed to take the test, but if you do not you have to take classes in those particular areas and take the pre-tests again until you pass them. Good luck!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Once you have your GED, continue your education at a community college.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree with other posters; once you get your GED, continue your education and go to college. These days, you need at least a Bachelor's degree to get a decent paying job.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010