Is the Europeanization of America turning it into a bankrupt welfare state?

See Article from the WSJ online - Are Rome's Last Days a Distant Mirror for America?

Link to full article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704312504575619143718091672.html?mod=ITP_opinion_1

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am not going to get into unecessary arguement. Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch .

Just to say i disagree with the basic premise the America is being ' Europeanized ' There have always been cultural influences crossing the Atlantic in both directions , from jazz to the Beatles & Stones but this hasn't been so marked with politics. What has ceated the present problems in Europe and the States is not the so-called welfare state but the collapse of the financill system due to deregulation and speculation of grossly overvalued ' assets ' assuming a never-ending rising market. And fraud , the full extent of which will probably never be revealed.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• and its not 'free'...I would bet the country you originate from has a much smaller population than America..and or no real military might
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I come from an Eastern European country, where taxes are about the same as here, but we have free healthcare (for all), free vocational training, free dental, etc. It's not "welfare". Answer by MommaofH2

TN did have a valid question.  What is the military like where you are from?  What other social programs does your government pay for?   What sort of public assistance do they provide?  What is the population of your home country?  What is the infrastructure like?  These are all factors in where tax money is appropriated.  If there isn't much of a military, then it's understandable that it wouldn't be affordable here since pretty much the rest of the world (all but our enemies - and sometimes even they need us) depends on our military to protect them. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Hmm nasty attitude..
    Yes I reside in TN so what.How do you know I have not lived in Europe? hmm? I could have..or I could have family/friends there possibly.I'll pass on STFU..

Great arguement you put out lol
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Do you know my country's policies and legislation? Does any redneck? No? Then STFU.

Well aren't you a snippy snob?? Why don't you go back to your wondeful European country and leave America to us "REDNECKS"?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• So then it's easier to come in here and hurl insults instead of giving facts and real opinions? That sounds like something a sh!t stirring troll would do.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Didn't read the article, but to answer the question..yes, that among other things
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Please explain the logic of that question gerpie.

Europe is figuring out that the welfare state is unsustainable. America will fall because some aren't smart enough to figure it out.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Oh so you deleted your nasty rant ..lol coward
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Oh you must have needed to correct something..ok then :)

Nice stereotyping Momma..and just a little tid bit for ya..I was born in our nation capitol..and raised just outside..it's called D.C. look it up.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2010