I feel left out...

When I take my daughter to preschool most of the other moms speak spanish, and I don't. They all seem nice, and I want to start a conversation at least with the ones that speak english, but I am very shy and I get anxious. All the moms are friendly with each other but I just don't know how to join in. Sometimes they look at me weird, but I always smile to them. What should I do?

sylvia-ann

Asked by sylvia-ann at 8:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• START TALKING!! If they don't speak english, just say sorry, No Habla espanol and move onto the next mom. Don't be afraid to talk because you don't know spanish, maybe most of them know english, but they just talk spanish becuase they think they all understand! Gotta make the first move mom, you'll do fine!
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 8:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'm the same way. I just don't "fit in" with the other moms mostly because I find them really annoying. However, there are a few other outsiders who I do talk with but like you making the first step in starting a conversation was very difficult for me. Since you have the kids in common start out by asking how so and so likes the class and/or teacher. That is usually a great ice breaker. As you start to converse topics will start to come naturally. Remember, other woman are probably like you and are also shy to start a conversation.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2008