Are you negotiating a "gift truce" among the adults in your family?

Why not dial down the number of presents given? Or draw names to concentrate on one nice gift?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Holidays

• We don't exchange gifts with the adults in DH's family (he is one of 6). We draw names and buy for the kids. It makes it a lot less expensive.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have made couples gifts and narrow down this way, and some I have out right said to stop the gift giving.

Answer by older at 5:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• We've always drawn names in my family. It means everyone winds up with one really good gift instead of a bunch of junk.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• We always make it public knowledge that we have a small budget for Christmas and have no interest in competing (on either side) in Gift Wars.

If someone wants to give us something terrifically expensive, they're welcome to do that... but we will not be playing 'loyalty' or 'how much do you love me' games with any gift occasion.

We love our family and friends enough to avoid putting them in the position of feeling guilty for extorting more from us than we can afford. We expect our family and friends to avoid the same for us.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My DH side of the family did it this year... we buy 1 gift for 1 adult (random drawing).. and buy for the 4 kids in the family. We are excited because in his family that cut about $200 of money we really dont have to spend! :-) WOOHOO

My family. another story. There is me, dh, dd, My mom, sister, her DH, my uncle, aunt & their 3 kids. my mom would buy for me,sis either way.. and we would want to buy for her as well.. so it just would not work well
    I wish we could though because we will spend over $200 just on the family, and then some on DD..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• We draw names in my family and it is very nice. My DH's family does this gift stealing thing, I am not into so I don't do it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:29 AM on Nov. 23, 2010