Anyone else scared of the economy yet?

I know we are my husband has been off of work for over a yr from construction. We recieved a letter this week stating that in the beginging of December he will no longer recieve his unemployement. He has been filling out apps and going to every interview weekly but always the same either he is over qualified or under qualified for the job. He went to school for computers while being laid off so he knows what he is doing! I am really scared for this time to hit us! I am so glad I did all my Christmas shoping through out the year!!!!

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 5:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I was terrified in 2009, kinda shaky in 2010, seemingly hopeful for 2011.

I wish you luck and send prayers your way.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• The media wants you to believe it's getting better. That's BS. It's worse and no good in sight!
    GumboGirl

Answer by GumboGirl at 5:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Check out http://www.roadtechs.com/ A friend of mine gets all his contract jobs there. Just one idea........... I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I gave up on job search after failing to find employment for a year. I enrolled in school instead so at least in a few years my job prospects may be better.
    Thank the Lord my husband is in an industry that is still ok during these hard economic times.
    It's pretty scary right now.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I've been afraid for some time. My husband is a federal worker so his job is secure, but we're also affected by inflation and other signs of a bad economy.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 5:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Oh my. We have businesses at the malls in five states, they are literally booming right now. It seems like people started shopping right after Halloween this year. I'm still confused about it all though because one of our states is at the top of the unemployment rate. When it came time to hire, we had a hard time finding managers for our businesses. Everyone kept saying how bad of times it was in their towns, but seriously, this we've already reached our Christmas goals!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It depends on where you live,it seems. In my state,unemployment is lower and companies are hiring,the malls are filled with buyers and the paper has some pretty optimistic reports.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Hard on us too. Our savings has been drained long ago. We make $100 too much a month to qualify for food stamps, from the unemployment checks. Same as for housing assistance. We have been getting shut off notices, one after another. I had to go to a food pantry today. It sucks.
    Anonymous

• OP will his benefits come back if UE gets extended, or is that it for you?

Anonymous

• Our carpet cleaning business is doing really well.....people can't afford new carpets so they call us to clean them.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010