• In the Spotlight:

Any suggestions on what I can do for low back pain?

Seriously guys.. I might just be getting old, but I can hardly bend over or stand for a long period of time. I have had sciatica in the past, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. It's more of a severe stiffness, like it needs to pop.. any suggestions?

pupmom

Asked by pupmom at 8:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Health

• Chiropractors are fantastic!! Also, stretching does wonders as does "superman flys". if you lay on your tummy on the floor like superman and lift up your left leg and right arm, then switch sides and do right leg and left arm, then do both legs and both arms and do a few repetitions of each of these each day, it REALLY helps out the lower back WITHOUT straining it or overdoing it. It really keeps you from feeling like you have been lifting bags of cement all day!
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 8:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Sorry to hear about your pain. I work as a Medical Transcriptionist and one of my clients is a Pain Management Doctor. He always suggests stretching and moist heat first. If those steps don't relieve the symptoms, sometimes you can get injections (sciatic nerve blocks) and they usually help alleviate people's pain. How bad is the pain (from 1-10)?
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'm going to try it right now.. thank you so much.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 8:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• It was about an 8.. However, I did those stretches that son & moon recommended and it helped a great deal. I just feel like it needs to pop and won't...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2008