We normaly do White Elephant gift giving for Christmas but this year.......

For the past few years we did the white Elephant gifts for Christmas we think it is fun and takes the seriousness out of gift giving! This year my sister in law decided all by herself that we have to pick names! Why do some people think they have all the decision making in a situation like this? I have my white elephant gifts already together!!!

For those of you who do not know what white elephant gift giving is you take something you do not use anymore and wrap it we then would put our names in a hat. Pick names and then choose a gift if you open a gift and like one that someone else has you can take there gift and give that person your opened gift only on your turn. We like to have one gag gift for the yr to make it interesting! :)

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Holidays

• I would just ask everyone else what they want to do. I hate it when someone thinks they are gonna be the boss in the family...Shes not even like the elder! I could see if she was great grandmother who makes the decisions, but a sil? yeah right.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'd talk to her and tell her that it should be a family decision.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• have you talked to her about it? And didnt you say you have been doing it for a few years...maybe she wants to do something different this year...
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 5:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yes but it would be nice to be able to be in on making the decision!
    jem102675

Comment by jem102675 (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• White Elephant is so much fun! I like goofy gifts but my SO was insulted by it so I had to stop.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Is it at her house this year? I look at it like if I am hosting the holiday I should get to decide. A few years ago my MIL decided that she would be coming for Thanksgiving to our house and in the process starting inviting her family as well. People were really hacked off when we had dinner in the afternoon instead of at 11 am (when she thinks it has to be). I invited my family and did it the way I wanted to, of course that was not good enough for all of those people I didn't invite (MIL did).  She has decided she is coming here for Christmas, I'm waiting to see the response when we have a Christmas brunch and then dinner in the evening.  I hate rushing Christmas morning and this year I won't have to.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Well I am the opposite. We used to draw names, and give a well thought out gift. Then my dumb ass sil opened her mouth and we do this stupid Chinese gift exchange where you can steal gifts etc. I don't like it, I don't want to spend good money on a nice gift and go home with a dollar store screw driver set. So, I choose not to participate and let it go. My DH loves it, and he has fun.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:28 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Never heard of that. What is White Elephant gift giving?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2010