Does the federal budget problem come down to resistance to cut programs for the elderly?

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/11/22/our-burgeoning-budget-and-the-politics-of-avoidance.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• All the program changes being discussed (except Obama care)now leave intact current benefits. We HAVE to change the way SS and health care(medicare or medicaid) are done. More responsibility needs to be taken by the individual from now on out. They should have the choice to get their own health care or decide where they want their money to be saved.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Whatever happened to family taking care of family? When I was young, my Dad's mom lived with us. She was elderly, on a fixed income, and she shared my bedroom. The eventually built an addition to the house to give us each our own room.

Even my jack ass mother cleaned up long enough to care for my grandmother when she got sick before she died. It's an awful lot for one person to keep a household afloat...even harder when there are medical bills.

Why are things like they are now? I hate my mother, but when she's old and infirm, she'll probably be in one of my bedrooms. Because that's what's right.

I know, I'm rambling. But if people took better care of each other, well, things would be better.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• All I know is somebody, someday is going to have to give in order to even get close to fixing the budget crisis! Either we're going to end up paying a lot more in taxes or a lot of things are going to have to be cut. Everyone has their thing that they don't want the government to touch, but how else are we going to fix the problem? We can't just create money out of thin-air anymore!
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 6:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• The only way I would agree to cut medical services to the elderly would be if services were also cut across the board. Pregnant moms on medicaid ~ cut. Infants and children on medicaid ~ cut. Twenty/thirty/forty/etc. something on medicaid ~ cut. Medicaid covers ALL age groups. Many who are receiving medicaid have NEVER worked, NEVER saved, NEVER gone without because that aid is there.

I'm with lovin on this one. Families are going to have to go back to taking care of each other, whether they 'want' to live together or not. It isn't fair to those who spent their lives working to yank the rug out from under them just because a lot of young people 'want'. Those who included those benefits in their planning no longer have the capability to get/keep a job. Many are already living at or below the poverty level. Save the changes for those who have time to save, those who are young enough.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Who says when your elderly you want to move in with your children? I'm sure most who have lived on their own for so long would want to keep it that way, and they should be able to.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 8:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Loving- Because in this era most families need 2 wage earners in order to survive. If grm/grp have special needs, requiring skilled OTC care, someone needs to be home and available at all times to provide that care. For many families, this is  no longer feasible. If everyone is going to need to work longer, fewer and fewer people will be cared for by loved ones

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

Answer by lovinangels 3 hours
    ----------------------------
    True. BUT we are talking about MEDICAL CARE/.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• True. BUT we are talking about MEDICAL CARE/.
    __________________________________
    Seniors wouldn't need as much help financially with medical care if the family unit were intact and people were working together. I have an older lady friend whose husband died and the kids are half way across the country. She's now attempting to support a household alone that took two people...and starting to face her own medical bills.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:34 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'm not comfortable asking what the details of her insurance are, but sometimes she just cries... and I'm mad at her kids, because she's a good lady, and a good mom, and my mom sucks and I still treat her better than they treat this sweet lady...

No one takes care of each other any more. In a world where business is providing our health care...where profit is the bottom line, you'd think we'd actually take care of our elders. But we don't. We hand them a tiny check and a healthcare plan that could make you dizzy, and we pretend all is hunky dory. Well, it's not. And the truth of the matter is, the funding behind the leavings that we give our seniors is long since gone and we don't know the way out.

Well, the way out is family. People bucking down together and doing what is right. Not what is easy, what is right.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Are we ready for a dictatorship? I have paid in all my life. Now it is going to be taken away? We can barely live now while we can still work. Tell Obama to sell his stretch limo and stop wasting our money on a useless war. Cut out free hand outs to every lazy ass who wants to lay up and not try.
    Get the US back to work. Bring jobs back, and tax and fine the hell out of companies sending American jobs overseas. Teach our country how to be self sufficient. Stop depending on other countries for our resources........................... Then we can take care of our elderly.
    Weezermae55

Answer by Weezermae55 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2010