why can't people give cops the same respect they give the military?

if your not doing something illegal then you don't have to worry about law enforcement officers bothering you. and most people want to bash cops and then call them when they need help. seriously!!! if you want to hate on cops the please save our boys at home the trouble of having to go to your aid.

our law enforcement officers deserve the same respect as our military.

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 6:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you. My husband was in the military for 8 years (4 active, 4 reserve). Anytime he was out in uniform people would come up to him and shake his hand and thank him. My husband now works in law enforcement. Any time he is out in uniform, he gets nothing but "fuck you" and "go to hell" looks. My husband has never done anything to deserve it. He does his job- no more, no less.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Well, I'm gonna play devils advocate here. There are A LOT of butt hole cops out there. Cops that harass people who aren't doing anything illegal...cops that are just jerks because they can be. I'm not saying that there aren't military guys out there who are butt heads, because they're are, BUT they do not interact with the general public daily. Cops do. Its not that cops don't put their lives on the line, but that there are enough bad apples that many people do not trust or respect most police officers.

hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Oh my, someone must live in a perfect world.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I WILL criticize them when they have earned it and am not required to forfeit my right to police protection by doing so.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I don't know about where you are but the officers around here are trigger happy and A holes. An elderly woman was shot just a few months back because the cops had the wrong address for a raid. A child was molested just last week by a cop who was helping him get home. They pull you over which is fine but then they tell you how awful you are and are snide like their S**T don't stink. They pull people over based on color. I have been pulled over twice because I 'fit the description of a know criminal' WTFE. How do they know through my windows!? All they know is I was a black female with shoulder length hair. The Cheif was arrested a few months back for money laundering... CORRUPT CORRUPT CORRUPT!
    Anonymous

• Cops have evolved into jack asses. It's become a power thing with many. You can tell what kind of person they are within a minute of encountering one.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Authority is Authority and if someone doesnt respect a copthen theyre not gonna respect their elders or teachers and so on. And like you said...if you arent doing anything wrong then why get so upset? Well its prob becuase they are doing something wrong

BAAAAAAAAAAAH.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• There are good and bad cops, always have been this way they sometime let their authority get to their heads, and in the mlitsry is harder for them to be corrupt, because they are under constant scrutiny.

Answer by older at 6:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Should we respect the ones that beat Rodney King? Should we respect the ones who ransacted houses with army tanks that they thought were drug houses?
    Anonymous

• Well, sure,there are always bad apples, not so honorable cops-- but they are basically putting thier lives on the line by being a cop.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010