how do i know my daughter is eating enough?

jayjaynmommy

Asked by jayjaynmommy at 6:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is growing with in her growth curve and meeting developmental mile stone.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Kids will not starve themselves and they have much smaller stomachs so she more then likely is eating enough. As long as she is eating a little bit all day she is good. I know when my kids where this age they never at a lot at one time they could just eat through out the day.

If you become very concerned then I would talk with the DR.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• but she isnt... shes low in weight everytime i go to the dr she tells me, feed her alt of cheese, little liquids, alot of bread, tortillas, ect. but my daughter will eat verry verry lttle ive tred everything from, keeping herin the high chair till she finishes her food, letting her loose and eat little by little, to not feeding her till she shows hunger so she can eat alot but nothing has worked she is still skinny ... how i wold love for her to be full or chunky
    jayjaynmommy

Comment by jayjaynmommy (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My daughter is in the 'low weight' 4th percentile BUT she is consistently in the 4th or 5th percentile. If she isn't dropping in percentiles then she is growing in 'her curve' She is just petite.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Did you just say you want your child to be over weight??? Please tell me miss understand...
    Anonymous

• Nothing wrong with a chunky toddler, I had one. He was 22lbs at 6 months old. That chunk is now 6'2" and only about 138lbs. My daughter was the opposite. She fell off the charts at 6 months old and didn't get back on them till grade school. I worried but my ped didn't. If she isn't sickly looking then don't worry. If she drinks milk, give her whole milk and put some instant breakfast in it if you are truly worried.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• thank u all mommies, for all the help and advice truelly makes me feel better!!!!
    jayjaynmommy

Comment by jayjaynmommy (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My daughter was/is the same way. Dr finally told me to give her pediasure to expand her stomach so she would eat a lot more. Unfortunately that didn't work out so well. She still ate the same amount. So Dr told me to give it to her in between meals. Since then she has slowly been gaining weight. If you're still concerned that she isn't eating enough talk to your Dr about putting her on pediasure. Yes I admit it is a bit expensive so if you happen to have WIC ask to put them on your vouchers.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• sometimes my 3 1/2 yr old DS doesnt eat much at all... as long as you talk to your dr, offer her food 4-5 times a day and have her eat before she drinks (so she doesnt fill up on liquid) and if she is not sluggish or sick... thats just how some kids are :) I worry too sometimes. Just keep the dr in the loop and keep offering food often
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 2:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• it is normal for toddlers to not eat much. it is more ideal for them to eat threw out the day when there ready. we as a society push our children to eat and the learn not to listen to there body.
    Tatersmommy

Answer by Tatersmommy at 1:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2010