In order for me to get any financial aid will i have to get the divorce?

I have been seperated from my husband for over a year now and i am at a point in my life where i would really like to go back to school. My husband refuses to sign divorce papers though. What can i do? I am fine with him not signing. We live a perfectly happy life just staying seperated but i feel like my education is important too. While we were together i tried to get financial assistance to go to school and my husband made too much money, but not enough to pay for me to go to school. Will they still consider his income even though we are not living together?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• This is something I do not know about, but you can either talk to the financial aid department at the school you are planning on attending or go to FAFSA.GOV, they have a FAQ's section.
    Sarah A.

Answer by Sarah A. at 6:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• IF you have filed and he hasn't signed your still consider legally seperated. WHen you apply for fafsa or other places for finanical ad the usually ask for proof and if you filed and he still hasn't signed they atleast know your not together.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 6:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• They shouldn't consider his income NOW. BUT, you will have to give them last years tax returns, that is what they go by. Best of luck!!!!!!!!!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree with Nicolesmommy, It is all dependant on how you filed the previous years taxes. Although if you go up to the school you could possibly explain your special circumstance and they might have forms for you to submit!!! My co-worker had to fill out a form stating she resides with her brother and he pays her bills not her mother (her mom is MIA)...so it can be done but it will take much more effort than the usual hassel of financial aid!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:15 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Good luck!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2010