How can I lengthen my 6 1/2 month olds naps?

Hi all,

Anyone have some suggestions. My LO sleeps very well at night usually 7:30 to 7 a.m. I put him down awake and he settles himself very quickly to sleep. Daytime sleep is hit or miss. I usually put him down between 9:30 and 10 for his first nap. I'm lucky if he sleeps 30 minutes although on occasion he has slept for 1.5. Second attempt to nap is between 1:30 and 2 - same thing 30 minutes if I'm lucky. Again for naps we do our routine, he goes down awake and settles usually pretty easily but is up so quick. I struggle to get him to last to the 7:30 night time sleep.

Anyone have some suggestions?

maisoui953

Asked by maisoui953 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cut out the early morning nap and he will sleep longer in the afternoon. Not all kids nap or nap for very long, and the ones that do have changing sleep needs.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• heh I just posted something about this too...my little one just won't take naps! The doctor said that it's normal for the more active babies to not want to take them and he also said that there is nothing that you can really do...which sucks cause if your like me, you would love a break every now and then lol...just try sticking to the same routine and maybe your little one will start to relize "ok at 1:30 I sleep" type thing thats what we are doing and it's getting better lol I actually got a 45 min nap the other day
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 8:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I had the same problem with my son. He sleeps great at night approx 10-12 hours. He rarely naps during the day at daycare. At home he will take a nap around 11 am and he will sleep for approx. 1-2 hours and then will take an afternoon nap at around 3 pm and sleep for approx 1-2 hours. I found that it is best to have him nap in his crib. He doesn't sleep very long if he does fall asleep anywhere else like a playpen. My son is a blanket baby but he only gets the blanket when he is in the crib. It is funny sometimes because I will lift him over the rail to the crib to place him on the mattress and his fingers will immediately go in his mouth and he will reach for the blanket and he is out. He sleeps like an angel. If your not already putting your son down for naps in his crib where he sleeps at night I would try this. Some babies just don't nap long during the day. This may change as he gets older. Best of luck.
    anne0124

Answer by anne0124 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My son is 7 months no later then 10:30A.M I feed him oatmeal,then bath him by 11:20A.M he is sleep he wakes up around 4;30P.M or 5P.M but my son has been sleeping tho the night and having good naps from the time he came home maybe just give him a nice warm bath when you see that he is getting sleepy that helps alot
    Rileymother

Answer by Rileymother at 4:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2008