Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

can i get free medical help if ive been raped?

About 3 week ago, I was raped and haven't been out of my bedroom since. I've noticed I'm starting to get something that looks like herpes, I don't have inurance or anything. What can I do for medical help? And prescriptions?


Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • Go straight to the ER, they will do a rape kit...Rape Kits are free because they want you to come in regardless of your economic status. Planned parenthood is not the place to go...Go to the ER asap, their may still be evidence they can collect, let them know you were raped, they will examine you and you can then report if you choose to

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • PS, please get help sweets. Rape is hard to deal with on your own and you shouldn't have to. There are rape hotlines, call them, they can help you emotionally and maybe even financially. Please get help.

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • all good advise from other mom posters so far
    you need to see a doctor, police if you feel able, a therapist/counselor when readyif you go to an ER, they HAVE to see you, also when you tell them it was rape , they MAY have to call police, at least i think they would send down an on staff therapist who worked in the hospital to talk to you

    filing a report would be scary as hell, a porfessional will talk to you to see if this is what is best for you

    you are not alone, you did NOTHING wrong, i was raped by my ex husband, and it took me months before i could say the word rape, i said took advantage of me for a month, then changed to took me by force , finally was able to say rape, and ths was after counseling

    hugs, wish i was there for you, find someone who is there in person who can help

    make a call!
    1.800.656.HOPE (4673)

    a few i found

    Answer by fiatpax at 7:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • : (
    This is all good advice. I think you can go to the ER and they will see you??? Otherwise, my advice was going to be Planned Parenthood but the rape hotlines are probably the best bet. Get out of your room and TALK to someone. You are not alone and you will be okay but you must talk about this.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • There usually is a community care program you can apply for to help pay for the bill! But you should take care of your self first and then worry about the money!!!! Best of luck to you!!!

    Answer by jem102675 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • Planned Parenthood is a good place to check into. They will do free testing. I'm so sorry for having been through that. I only wish you had gone to the ER right away- they would have seen you instantly and you could have brought the medical bill to your county social services and asked them for help to cover it. I hope you find the help that you need. Very sorry.

    Answer by Sharell8710 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • Go to RAINN's website, call them or use their online hotline. They will help you get everything figured out. You are not alone.

    Answer by purpleducky at 7:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • Um you should prob go to the ER and get that checked out before it turns into something even more serious.

    Answer by bhoward87 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • I'm almost positive a rape kit is "free" but only works if the rape was very recent -- I know it will be difficult, but you need to report the rape to the police and get to the ER immediately. Be strong.

    Answer by mommommamommyyy at 7:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • Call human services in your area and ask for the number of a sliding scale doctors office or a clinic in your area. You need treatment, don't worry about payment right now. Also, the county offers free counseling and resources for rape victims out here. So look into it.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2010