No Santa

If Santa doesnt exist in your household how do you explain t to your kids that other kids believe in him? Do you persuede them to go along with it in fear of ruining another childs dreams or do you leave it up to them?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Holidays

• Being a mixed Hindu/Sikh household. We have never celebrated Christmas, so we have never done the whole "Santa" thing.
    My son was taught that some children believe in Santa, and that he was not to say anything, one way or another. Their beliefs were to be accepted and respected. Period.

Over the years, participating in school events/community events during the holidays, it was my experience that my son had more respect for children who celebrate Christmas and believe in Santa. Than those believed/celebrated had for him. That was just our experience though. I can't speak for anyone elses.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yes, it would bother me if another kid told Cody that he doesn't exist. I don't see anything wrong at all with believing in a little holiday magic. I still do! :)
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 7:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My son is a tad young to understand the whole Santa thing. He's three. But we will not be letting him believe that he's real. Many of my friends have raised their kids this way, and they even have cousins that believe, but they've never said anything. We plan to tell our son that some children believe he is real and we don't want to ruin their Christmas by telling them otherwise. It seems to work for the other kids we know.

I don't see how kids don't figure it out on their own though, unless school curriculum has changed. In 2nd grade we went over all of the different "Santa's" of the world. Just about everyone in that class figured it out.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would not bother me so much if I child said that they didn't believe but I would be very upset if they argued with my child or tried to prove a point. It is one thing to teach your child not to believe but they should also be taught to respect the kids who do believe.

'We don't do the Santa Clause tradition because____. Some families do. Those families have fun allowing their children to believe in Santa Clause and we need to respect that. IT's okay to say that you don;t Believe in Santa Clause but it is not okay to tell other children that he isn't real or try to make them feel bad or silly for believing it.'
    Anonymous

• And as a parent of a child that believes...would it bother you that another child told yours that he didnt exist?
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Mine doesn't believe, she is almost 4 but last year, the first year she was old enough to understand, she was SO afraid of santa. I tell her not to tell other kids but if they ask if she believes, I don't make her lie. She tells them no. One time a mother of a child who does believe told my dd that she doesn't believe cause she is naughty and santa wouldn't bring her anything anyway. Her son was like 10 or 11 and I answered, no she is smart, smart enough to know that there is not santa before she is a PRETEEN! I didn't even know this woman, her son was just at the park at the same time as my dd
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Corbysmom...Ive never heard of that before. Where do you live that they learn of diff santas? Thats very interesting and def fun to learn. But second gade seems a bit young....def do appreciate your input and the way youve taught ur kids!! thx! :)
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My kids view santa as a character just like a cartoon. they knew he isn't real. They know that other kids do believe in santa.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 7:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2010