Moms who are OK with the new TSA screenings

why do you disagree with this statement?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."– Benjamin Franklin

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I stole this quote from another mom's answer to a TSA question but it makes a lot of sence to me!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think this is circumstantial: Benjamin Franklin didn't have terrorists attempting to blow up plains with innocent women, men and children. An airplane is a luxury, if you don't want to get scanned driving, taking a bus, boat and train are still an option. But I will say this TSA screenings make me feel safer with the idea of flying, I haven't been on a plane since 9-11.

JMO
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• plane...duhh smh
    DomoniqueWS

• I do agree... However, I disagree that these new security measures are giving up any more liberties than regular security measures do...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I agree with Benjamin Franklin, but I don't believe it applies in this situation. There is an expectation that you will be under some scrutiny if you are traveling by air - you have the right to not fly if you choose. This has turned into a tempest in a teapot.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Benjamin Franklin didn't have terrorists attempting to blow up plains with innocent women, men and children.

No Ben Franklin et al had the British threatening to hang them for disloyalty to the crown. Their lives were threatened too. Signing the Declaration of Independence made them traitors to the crown punishable by death, and the British had no problem with killing thousands of peace-loving people who just wanted to be left alone.

It is really no different that today. The technology may be different, but the circumstances are the same. Someone doesn't like us; they want to kill us for what we stand for.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I, personally, have NO issue with the TSA screenings. If I did, I wouldn't fly. Simple as that. But its NOT feasible to take something that was said so long ago and apply it to today. Different times
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I can not instantly change the current system. We travel a great deal, my husband several times a week for work. As adults (our kids are grown,) we have weighed  our CURRENT, VIABLE options. At present, if you refuse both the scan and pat down you can not fly, period. SO, what are your options? 1) comply with either method of added screening or 2) opt for a different mode of transportation. I have health concerns with regards to the scan (Have already had 1 scan done) and will now opt for the grope. I will continue to fly-I will not be handcuffed by indecision, anger or angst. I will not lash out at screeners who are just doing their job. I hope for a fast and effective resolution to this issue. Adult tantrums solve nothing and just decrease credibility, IMO-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Good answer Sisteract. That is exactly how I feel. I am not looking forward to scans or pat-downs but it sure won't stop me from living my life and flying in December to see my son and his family.
    All the hysteria here at CM is not helping anything or changing anything. It must be making some posters really happy ,tho. They won't quit their self-indulgent ranting.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have no problem with the TSA screening. I have had a metal hip for a few years now and I do fly a few times a year. So I have went thru pat downs many times. I think they were just fine. If it means my safety then so be it. I also went to the courthouse today and had to get a pat down because the alarm always sounds. If you dont like it dont fly.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 7:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010