is it possible to dilate to a 6then be checked again by same person and you have dliated backwards to a 4?

Never heard it before and was interested if it was possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Very possible.

http://prenatalyogacenter.com/blog/the-sphincter-law-and-childbirth/

The cervix is a sphincter muscle just like your throat, anus, ect. When you are stressed or upset does your throat not close up? If you are trying to have a bowel movement and are interupted doesn't it feel like it gets stuck of gets "sucked" back in? It has been documented in animals that are in labor. Say, for example, a rabbit is in labor and a predator comes near. She smells the threat of the predator. Labor stops until she can run away and get to a safe place to have her babies. Humans are the same way.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 7:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• lol. I think it's a little subjective. They aren't taking a tape measure up there with them! So my guess is that they just made different educated guesses. Maybe one was more experienced or one was in a hurry. Who knows! When I was in the hosptital one min I was 4 cm the next I was 3.5.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:23 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• ah. same person. I miss read that. I don;t know why they would do that unless they wrote down or said the wrote down thing at one point...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yep, NinjaMomma hit the nail on the head. If you're not entirely comfortable, or are feeling stressed or pressured, labor can stall, stop or regress. Kick everyone out of the room, don't let anyone touch you, and just let your body do its thing.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 7:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I doubt it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would think your body has been contracting and pushing for so long that you would progress forward not backwards..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Again she was CHECKED BY THE SAME PERSON>>> Doctor/nurses use a guide for measurements ( 1 finger =1, 2=2 ,3=3) so on and so fourt til you get to four then they use a pointer finger and pinky for distants and measurements...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• that happened to me...i asked how that could be and they said it could be that the 1st person who checked you had smaller fingers than the last person...bc they do go by how many fingers they can fit into your cervix
    TiffanieAnn

Answer by TiffanieAnn at 7:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• IM SORRY!!!! I just saw that it said checked by the same person...whoops
    TiffanieAnn

Answer by TiffanieAnn at 7:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Absolutely!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010