when did your child learn to say AND use their own name

mine has speech dely and autism
she just started to say her name, in the 2nd person, but i am hopeing this is just practicing and she will get it in the first person soon

she did say her name before she walked and with no promptng at all, but then she went backward and got doctor report of autism

i do not know, typical child use of own name

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 7:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter was about two and a half when she began answering 'what is your name?' . She is now almost 3 and a lot of times Speaks in the 3rd person. 'That's Quinn's hair bow' My best friends son is 3 and a half with a speech delay and just started saying his name a few months ago.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My son is 2.5 answers to his own name of course, but he is just now beginning to answer the question "What is your name?" correctly. A lot of times, he'll say his nicknames instead of his real name, so we have to work on that. I worked into it by saying, "Glenn, what's your name?" And when he looked at me all confused, I'd say, "Your name is Glenn!" You might try that; it is working pretty well so far. :)
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 7:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• so far this makes me feel good,
    my daughter turned three in july, so not THAT far behide in this aspect

thank God no one answered with the brag crap of my child reads two languages and said own name at 1 yr
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• 'thank God no one answered with the brag crap of my child reads two languages and said own name at 1 yr '

LMAO! I love it!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My DS turned 2 in August. His name is Cooper, but when asked what his name is he points to himself and responds, "Coop Coop." Holly is right about asking then telling. That works. I'm getting him to say Cooper instead of Coop Coop. I'm sure they call him Coop Coop at school, but at home we say Cooper or Coop. I'll have to ask to make sure.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• D has been saying his name since he was about 2. He would answer the question "what is your name?" with his full name, like it was one name instead of three. It took a while before he figured out that he had three seperate names not just one really long one.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• LOL @ fiatpax! My DD is 21 months old and has said her name for quite a few months now, but she still refers to herself and her things mostly in 3rd person. She walks around the house pointing or picking up things, and saying "Hannah's shoe" or "Daddy's watch". The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that she says in first person is "my baby" referring to her doll. If you ask her "what's your name?" she answers correctly. And she'll ask you back "you name?" But we always did, and still do, play the "What's so and so's name?" game with her. There's only 4 of us (her,daddy,hayden, and me...well 5, if you include Elmo) and she has them down, so I'm thinking it's time to branch out a bit more. =) And I honestly don't remember when DS started saying his own name. He was always early with things like sitting up, crawling, and walking, but DD's vocabulary level is def. way more than what his was at this age.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• And I don't think there is a certain age...kids are different and learn at there own paces. I wouoldn't be worried unless they were GROSSLY behind. Your DD sounds like she's just fine to me. =)
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• *oops! their own paces....
    HaydensMama07

• My son is speech delayed and is 2.5 and can't say his own name yet. I dunno when they should do that by, his therapist said it isn't normal to not be doing it yet but he should soon. *shrug*
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 9:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2010