Was I wrong?

My youngest son's father and I get every other holiday and this year he was supposed to get him Christmas Eve and I get him on Christmas Day. Since our family does the big dinner and get-together on Christmas Eve, I suggested we switch so that he can spend the holiday with the extended family instead of just opening gifts. I feel this was more important. What do you think?

sweet29mom

Asked by sweet29mom at 7:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Holidays

• I think you did a very unselfish thing...kudos to you!
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 7:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• How his father chooses to spend his time with his son is his business, not yours. And even if you feel that your way of doing things is more important than his way of doing things, that doesn't make it so.

So, as you have an "every other" holiday agreement, yes, I do feel that you're wrong to change this based on your opinion that your activities are more important than this child's father's.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 9:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think that you knew that your family does the big dinner and get-together on Christmas Eve. So it doesn't make any sense to me why you agreed to the arrangement you have, only to ask him to change it. Are you planning on asking every year? What if he has plans? What makes your holiday plans more important than his?
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• You feel this was more important? More important than what? More important than your son's time with his father?
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 8:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• As long as your ex doesn't mind then I don't see why there would be a problem.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Long as your ex has no issues with it...no biggie.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think if he doesn't mind, then why shouldn't you be able to ask him to switch? I hope you have a good relationship anyway for your son's sake and that you always keep his best interests in mind.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It is all good.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 7:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I don't see how asking can be wrong... As long as you're prepared for him to say no (maybe he already has plans). If you don't ask you'll never know.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 8:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I felt my son spending time with family was more important than gifts. At his dad's they only focus on the presents.
    sweet29mom

Comment by sweet29mom (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2010