PARENT TEACHER CONFERANCE,

Horrible, I got to conferance and found out my kid is lying to the teachers, hitting his aide, and arguing on every assignment. Has been asking to go to the nurse.. just to get out of class, has accused kids of hitting him when the teacher says she watched and the kid was over 3 feet away from my son and never touched him..

Teacher says all these behaviors have started since my husband moved out of our home.. HELP.. WHAT WOULD YOU DO..??

2boys4momma

Asked by 2boys4momma at 7:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• counseling or have his dad go with him to counseling w him. something has get done know that he young cause when he gets older it go to get him in trouble in high school
    vmr

Answer by vmr at 10:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Well, although he's obviously having issues with his father leaving, he has to understand that none of his behavior is acceptable. You don't say how old he is, but I would set up a disciplinary plan with the teacher and at home to address his behavior.

I would also get him into some kind of counseling to help him deal with his father moving out. It would be great if his father participates in the disciplinary plan and the counseling, but if this isn't an option, he still needs your support and help (your son of course).

Good Luck, I know how difficult this is.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would ask for some counseling for that little guy. Ask at the school if there is someone who can help him or if they can recommend someone. I'm sorry you are in this situation.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• He's 8 in 2nd grade.. and does get counciling at school two times a week..even before this.. and 2 times a week is maximum.. they can offer!
    2boys4momma

Comment by 2boys4momma (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• try to get him PRIVATE counseling AND establish a continuous contact with teacher, daily notes and/or emails and follow through on consequences at home.
    Also set up a contract with him... when you have behaved at schoool you get to do all of these reg. things after HW, when you don't (my kids are still on colors) so they lose first TV and/or bike at a yellow, then all toys but can do educational computer and read, if its too much YOU get NOTHING but H.W. dinner, bath, bed.
    There is also consequences for doing awesome during the week.... if you have ____ days of green/great behavior on the weekend we can do _________. (it can be simple and inexp. stuff like rent a movie for a dollar and popcorn, go to the park for 2 days etc.etc.)
    Talk about exactly what behavior you WANT to see (not don't yell.... but speak respectfully etc.)
    Good luck, its not easy. He's pissed and that's understandable. He needs some way to get it out.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'd ask about him seeing the school social worker. Inquire as to if your school offers peer groups of any kind. The school I taught at did. I'd also suggest the teacher start some sort of positive reinforcement behavior chart. If he earns so many stars in a day he'll get such and such reward at home. Since he's obviously stressed about dad, you don't want to give too much of a negative consequence right now IMO.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010