What would u do about a 8 yr old that all of a sudden wants to be back in a car seat?

I will start off to say she is not my kid, she is my niece. I have a 5 month old son and ever sence about a month ago when we got him his big boy car seat, she has wanted to be back in one. I live with my parents and she stays with us every weekend and during school breaks and the summer she stays when ever she wants. My mom and i tried asking her why she all of a sudden wants to go back in a car seat and she said because she can not see out the windows; she is just in a seat belt. I suggested to her that we go back to useing a backless boster but she dose not want that, she wants to be in a car seat like my son it.
I do not know what to do. My sister dose not agree with harnessing an 8 year old and she would never have the money to anyway; she is the only one that works in her house. The car seat my son has was 200 dollars and harnesses to 65 lbs.
So my question is what do i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell her it isn't going to happen

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• In my experience...the PARENT makes the safest decision and does not give in to the short lived whims of an 8 year old.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would tell her no, she's a big girl now.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 8:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would stand by whatever decision her mom makes about it.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• do it if it makes him feel safe
    vmr

Answer by vmr at 10:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• she may just want attention
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:17 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• just wondering what a "big boy " car seat is for a 4 month old..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:25 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• "BIG BOY CAR SEAT FOR A 5 MONTH OLD?" I thought at that age they still had to be in a rear facing infant seat? Even if not it would be the same kind of seat just turned the other way. As for your daughter, Depending on where you live I believe in most states she should still be in some sort of booster seat wether hi back or not. Where I live a child has to be over 4 yrs old and 100 lbs to be in a seat belt only. She may be telling the truth about wanting to see out the window and she cant. But in all honesty a highback and a no back booster seat has the same elevation. So im assuming its a simple case of I want what he has. If you cant afford the more expensive one like she wants then you have the last say. Also if you or another caregiver has medical insurance for the child, some of them offer free seats.
    lnkforever

Answer by lnkforever at 8:28 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Get a backless booster and tell her she is welcome to sit in that so she can see out of the car (and be safer).
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I was thinking the same thing InkForever. You are not supposed to turn a child around until they are at least 12 months. However, they have the bigger car seats that are still rear facing so maybe that is what he is using.
    As far as the 8 yeard old, I would check to see what the rule is for that in your state. In Ohio, they have to be in a car seat until 4 years old AND 50 pounds. After that they can be moved to a booster seat. I am not sure how long they have to stay in a booster seat.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010