Why are our special needs kids treated so wrongly or bullied by the other ordinary kids?

I recently took my daughter out of regular school and am now homeschooling thru the k-12 program because of bullying and the "other kids" not wanting to play with her and being treated like a leper and outcast,picked on, called loser constantly,being made to trip over herself when running.Why are these kids so mean?An mother who has gone thru this will know that it hurts us as much as it does our kids!

ROSA6622

Asked by ROSA6622 at 8:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wish I could answer this for you! I was treated not so well in school too and it does carry through to adult hood! I wish it was better now but I know it is not! Best of Luck for you and your daughter

jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It's due to poor parenting on the part of the other children's parents. Sorry you're going through this...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 8:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Because parents are not actively involved with the children these days.. Children need to be taught that everyone is different, but that doesn't mean it's ok to bully them.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I agree that its partly poor parenting....you have to TEACH kindness and respect by your words and actions. Kids by nature are mean (generally speaking) some are not of course.

My dd has mild aspergers and I worry about this a lot....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• A lot of times bullies are bullied them selves at home or in other areas of their lives. There are other issues which can cause children to become bullies also. They target children who are different for any reason what so ever and most of the time make sure they attract the attention of other children so they notice. It is very complex and not an easy issue to understand considering many reasons for their actions.

I feel you have made a wise choice to homeschool, homeschool children you will find are much more accepting of others. I have never seen or heard a homeschool child verbally bash another child. I encourage to seek out a homeschool support group in your town, there are some which are geared towards special needs also. Just Google the biggest town to you along with the words homeschool support group. If you can not find one on the internet close to you email one of the groups and ask them if they know of one.
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 8:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have no answers for your, but I am sending you my sincere sympathy.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'm so sorry your daughter went through that. I teach an inclusion class and my students are not only tolerant of the differences in their classmates, they actually compete to see who can help out when someone needs it. I think one of the key factors is because inclusion is so common at our school. Special needs are rarely excluded so the gen ed kids are very comfortable with them and have a pretty clear understanding of how some kids are different than others. Ii think once kids get to a certain age they aren't as open to things.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 10:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i have no answers either..i was not bullied that much during my school days..but i agree with most of the moms answers parents have stop raising their kids..the tvs,music, an video games are raising most of these kids..i teach my kids to treat others like they would want to be treated..my heart goes out to your lil girl cause girls seem to so much more meaner than boys now an days..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• The mean children tend to have mean parents. I think a big part of bullying is the lack of active parenting and compassion these days. So many parents DO NOT model kindness and compassion to their children, do not build them up, and then kids are mean and insecure so choose to be unkind to others. It all starts at home and some parents truly drop the ball.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:43 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I know that it is rough and I am so sorry that you and your daughter are dealing with this. My son was heavy and when we switched schools he had a hard time and kids made fun of him a lot. Plus he was an LD child that was main streamed and they made fun of him because he had a hard time learning. It seemed as if the teachers did nothing at all to the kids that made fun of him either. I would want to just go up to the school and say "what is wrong with you kids? Do you not see how great he is?" Or call their parent's and tell them to teach their children manners. I am again sorry you are dealing with this and I wish you lots of luck!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2010