How can I even the playing field with the one who's got the goods with my boss?

A supposed friend who I helped get a job has my boss around his finger. He's been able to get away with working more hours than allowed. He's even gotten a sticky note saying to cut down on hours, but he hasn't. Just today, at a Thanksgiving dinner, this guy is all my boss ever spoke about. He's getting away with murder while I've been very respectful about when and how long to work. When I asked to work more hours into the Christmas season, my boss only replied that we will be cutting back. OUCH!!

After all, he's been only making graphic designs for brochures. His amount of work doensn't exceed mine, it's just more visible being that it's easier to generate. As for myself, I have been giving in a lot of research for original ideas and have been a grantwriter which takes a lot of time. His job was actually part of my job description in the past. Grrrrrr!!!!

How do I even the playing field (before he gets my hours)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

So just do it, and apologize later if you get in trouble for overstepping your bounds.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 8:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Get your job hunt in high gear

Answer by rkoloms at 7:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Start the job hunt and sneak in the extra hours until then. Be there before they are and leave after they do. Show your dumb boss how valuable and dedicated you are.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2010