How do you cut onions without crying???

What's your technique for cutting onions without making yourself cry.

I usually throw mine in the freezer for a few minutes before I cut them, it gives me more time.

I just cut some up and forgot to freeze them first, got my eyes watering like crazy now lol.

Dark-N-Prego

Asked by Dark-N-Prego at 8:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Swim goggles. Seriously - you look ridiculous, but it works perfectly. We keep a pair in the drawer in the kitchen at all times now just for that purpose.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Take a piece of bread and stick it under your tongue...or take a saltine cracker and place it on top of your tongue...you can spit it out when you are done with the onion though!
    thutch21

Answer by thutch21 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• They do not make me cry, it must be that I am immune!

Answer by older at 8:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yes! Goggles! The ones with the nose cover too.
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I buy sweet onions and they don't make me cry. I cut a white onion the other day and I think I am still crying from that thing. It was a BAD one!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• you cut them next to running water,when I sold tupperware they taught us it,it works
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 8:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I put mine in the freezer for awhile before I cut them, and I don't cut thru the root end. (I learned that trick from watching Bobby Flay)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I run the onion & the knife under cold water first and I don't have any problems.

There's also this product, I saw it in a fancy kitchen store, called onion goggles that you can try. I found a link to them: http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=FP8327&sid=GOOGLE&TID=GL042208008&gclid=CIuQnajotaUCFcfe4AodZRRyzg
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• You'll laugh...but it works. I cut up the onion inside a giant freezer bag. The fumes seem to stay in the bag and I don't tear up. Well, I mean...if it is a bad one, I may still get a little sting, but not full on crying! It looks ridiculous...but, hey- it worls, bwhahaaha.
    ScaredChef

Answer by ScaredChef at 9:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I run them under the cold water before I cut them it helps me a lot.
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2010