Using elastic and don't know what I'm doing!

I am making no-sew tutus as party favors for my girls' birthday party. I decided to use elastic for the waist band as opposed to ribbons for more universal fits.

Here are my questions:
1. How do you recommend fascinating the ends of the elastic together? I read somewhere that stapling was an option. Is there a special fabric stapler or just a plain ol' office supply stapler?
2. I need to know how loose to make the elastic. I have found waist sizes for the correct clothing sizes, but how many inches should the elastic be loose? For instance if I cut the elastic to be the exact size of a 2-year-old's waist it will be too big. Does that make sense?

Feel free to message me if you have further questions!

Biz1985

Asked by Biz1985 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Sewing the elastic is the best way.......however i've made a few of them and i just tie the elastic in a knot around the girls... we have three girls all different ages, so if i just tie it on them, all three of them can wear any of the ones.. i liked that better than having to sew them, and worrying about it being too tight when they grow! Good luck have fun(:
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 8:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Oh my gosh! Duh! Tie it! You're brilliant. Thanks!
    Biz1985

Comment by Biz1985 (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010