What do you think of True Blood versus the Sookie Stackhouse books?

I've only seen the first season of True Blood and I'm reading the first Sookie Stackhouse book. I really wish more movies/shows were closer to the books they're based on.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Entertainment

• I only wish the characters in TB were closer to the characters from the books. It does bug me quite a bit when they change the whole character. Like Calvin for example. And Sookie, I am starting to loathe her in TB. LOL But as for the storylines being different I love that. If they stayed exactly like the books I think anyone who read the books would get bored because we would already know exactly what was going to happen. By changing the storylines on the show keeps us guessing and wanting more.

Shaylyn318

Answer by Shaylyn318 at 7:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I got through about 5 minutes of the show before I shut it off.
    I bought the first book, got halfway through, before I got mad at how simply it was written... and boring.
    So, I do not like either.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 9:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I like both, but I just don't even associate one with the other anymore. Some of the characters, like Sam, are so different on the show (for the worse). But some characters on the show are way better (like Lafayette). It drove me crazy comparing the two...so I just think of them as two totally different things. :)
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I've only seen Trueblood. Never heard of Stackhouse books but will have to check them out
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• No comparison book and tv just soooo different. I am a big Harris fan so of course I love the books.

mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 11:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I've watched all the seasons but I haven't read any of the books yet. I can't compare the two yet, but I can say that it's silly to expect or even want for the shows/movies to be like the books. It's not supposed to be a show of the book, it's an adaptation of the book for television; same for movies. You miss out on the new joys of the story as expressed in tv/film when you convince yourself that it just MUST be like the book!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 5:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Honestly I love the show it is fun to watch, but it doesnt compare to the books. The books are steamier and much more drama than the show. Some parts of the book are simply left out or the merge major scenes in a way that it becomes one scene in the show that is barely resembling the books. So it like similar story lines but differnet stories
    weirdjojo

Answer by weirdjojo at 9:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I like the show, but usually find myself wishing it were more like the books too. I realize that they often have to leave out subplots or minor characters when they make a book into a show or movie, but I hate when they change major things about the characters or main plot lines.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2010