Weird green ring under the surface of beef- what is it.

I bought some beef for bourguignon yesterday. Brought it home and saw that there was a green ring around the entire cut about a 1/4 of an inch under the surface. Smelled fine. Took it back and asked the butcher for another cut, but to please check it first. Same thing! Checked another cut and again...same thing. He said he's never seen anything like it before. Bought a different brand- same cut. Opened it at home- same thing!! Went to a different store, bought a slightly different cut. Opened it up at home and it smelled like asiago cheese and had the same creepy ring under the surface!!! Took it back. The butcher of 20 years said he has never seen it before and checked the other in the case- same thing!!!!! Is the FDA mandating that beef be processed some different way- are they irradiating beef and are no longer required to label it as such? Anybody seen this? Anybody know what is going on? I am one freaked out mamma!

ScaredChef

Asked by ScaredChef at 8:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I googled but found nothing. I am interested, too, if anybody has information on this.

Answer by Bmat at 9:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I googled, yahooed, binged....scoured the internet. I only found one similar question- that was posted on here. Nothing much came of the previous question, but it has me scratching my head. In all my years, I have never seen this. It would be interesting to see what region the person who posted the other question was from. Will be interesting to see if anyone else has experienced this recently.
    ScaredChef

Comment by ScaredChef (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• How green? Can you send me a picture of it, I am totaly curious!!??
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 9:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Have a look at the last page here - http://animalrange.montana.edu/courses/meat/meatcol.pdf
    Do you think that could be it? Irridescence??

Or maybe anything here describe what you are seeing? http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Color_of_Meat_&_Poultry/index.asp

Perhaps it is due to the explanation in the first link, from changes in the way the cuts are made?
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 9:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• could it have been a stamp?
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Nope, not irredescence and not a stamp! MSU extension had no idea, but was very interested! USDA has not got back with me yet. Super weird. Can you upload photos on here?
    ScaredChef

Comment by ScaredChef (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2010