I feel absolutely silly.

I'm in my early 20's and have my daughter, school and just the single mom routine all day, every day. I moved about a year ago and lost touch with most of my friends and so I decided to jump on the Facebook site and got reconnected with a lot of old friends. One in particular went to the same schools I did from elementary to highschool. We talked when we were younger but didn't see much of each other as we got older. We started talking and catching up on our lives about a week ago, and the reason I feel absolutely silly is because I actually think I like him. We just joke around and have the same humor and talk about day to day things. He's in the military so he is gone overseas so I guess talking to me gives him something to do. My "concern", if you will, is that his facebook says he is in a relationship now. I'm happy for him because I know it's hard for a soldier overseas and it's great that he has someone back home. I know it's common for men and women to have friends of the opposite sex, but I guess the conflict is that everytime I talk to him I feel like I should say something or just stop talking to him altogether. My ex was in the military so I'm in no way trying to be a "relationship wrecker". Maybe it's just a small attraction because we have a lot in common and little things like that. Do you think it will go away? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• If you like him why not say something? Ask if he's in a relationship. You can be slick about it and say I see your in a relationship how does your girl friend feel about you being over seas.... That way you'll get a straight answers hopefully.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• id bring up the relationship status & see what he says about.. does it say to who?
    id either simmer down & keep it to a friendship. im sure him being deployed makes him alot more vulnerable too where he may do/say things he usually would not..
    and if something came out of it, would u not be worried he is connecting with someone else on FB next time around?
    Only do/say what you wouldnt mind your own boyfriend hearing.. cuz if he does one day become ur mate, make sure your not starting out with some trust issues. KWIM?
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Play it cool, just assume it's a friendship and be glad for it unless he indicates having a romantic interest in you and no more interest in his current gf.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 10:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Bottom line is if his status is taken you are just a diversion , filling up time lost but I would be careful. Don't get hurt or expect much....guys can get funny over stuff like that.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:08 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Update to the situation:

So 2 or so days ago he and I were chatting back and forth and I said "I noticed you're in a relationship, how serious is that?" His reply was "It's been about 2 weeks, but we'll see. I don't think it'll last, a lot of people can't take a long distance relationship...etc."
    Then the next day his relationship status went from 'in a relationship with ___ ___' to 'single'.
    He doesn't keep stuff on his page, as in he deletes stuff so I don't think much of him having deleted a note she put on his wall. What do you think?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010