How did it go the first time you cooked a turkey on your own?

I just finished cooking my very first turkey every! And it turned out great.
How old were you and how was your first time cooking a turkey by yourself?

RhiannaSanchez

Asked by RhiannaSanchez at 9:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I was 20 and it was delish!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I was 27 and it was great!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I was 23? when I cooked my first turkey. I tasted good, but here's the funny part. No one told me about the giblets in the neck....so they got cooked (plastic and all!!), not once, but two years in a row! (I forgot from the year before....oops).
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• 19 and it turned out great. I was surprised and it was really trial and error but ended up awesome.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I was 17 and it turned out great. The next one I cooked for a family dinner and my MIL griped all day that it was undercooked (she was the only one who thought this). The last time I made a turkey I had it smoked and she tried to pull the same thing - hubby told her it cooked for days and to back off. LOL It was great!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:23 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I was 33 years old and it turned out surprisingly well.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Great job rhianna!!!
    I cooked my first about 7 years ago and I followed Butterball.com and it turned out great! I think the website taught me how to carve also. Have a good one!
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:08 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i was 29, it was just last year. i have make enough whole chickens i was not worried about doing it. it came out really good! i am doing my second one ever today, and am excited for it to be done!
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I was 22, just married and far from home. I used an oven bag and a 12 lb turkey. It said cook it for , I think, 2 hours. Well, that just didn't seem right, so i kept on cooking it, cause I remembered my mom cooking it for what seemed like all day. Naturally I didn't remember that she usually had about a 23 lb turkey and didn't use an oven bag, which cooks somewhat quicker. Well, when I finally took it out, and placed it on the table, it literally fell apart before our eyes. It split at the top, and just kind of slumped down. The stuffing came oozing out. My 16 year old step daughter was visiting us for the first time. It had been a little strained until then. We all just started laughing so hard, and it sure broke the ice. Now she's grown and has a family of her own. She still calls me on Thanksgiving and asks if the turkey is done yet.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:33 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• 21, I was super super super nervous!! I used an oven bag and everyone tried to convince me that I wasnt cooking it long enough! But I had read and read over and over about how to cook the stupid thing...it actually turned out pretty good! I was proud of myself. I cooked for 11 people for my first turkey day ever! We ate left overs for a week!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2010