My daughter is only 17months and has a lot of anger. She is very easily frusturated and will often hit or bite herself. Does anyone know how I can help her with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well i wouldnt worry about it to much,i have a 23 month old boy and when he gets angry he throws himself on the floor and starts screaming really mad.I think they just want to try to get our attention but as longest we know there fine we shouldnt really try to get fusterated and just let them get over it sooner or later they will see that by doing that it wont help out all and they will get the hang of it and try something else.
    love3380

Answer by love3380 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I know it's frusterating, but I would try redirection. My kids, they are almost 2 and 3 now, but they did things like that too. I think they get upset because they are trying to communicate with us and they have a lot of thoughts and ideas and can't get them across to us. But try to redirect her into something that she likes to do and something that's calming... like reading books, or working on colors, or counting or something... I hope that helps.. Hang in there.
    JennBear54

Answer by JennBear54 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My DD did this type of stuff. I read a lot of books and decided that she was trying to communicate but wasn't speaking well enough to be understood. So, I started teaching her sign language. She did a complete 180!! It was great. She still uses a lot of signs, but only when she can't think of the name of something.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 2:08 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• hello, i had the same problem with my daughter at that age, its really frustrating to be honest, but thankfully she did grow out of it, and she very pleasant now, babies often get fed up wen they cant comunicate with us, thats what i put it down to, hope thats helped,xxx
    ___kerry___

Answer by ___kerry___ at 5:13 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• i agree with kerry. my daughter does the exact same thing. so now she points at whatever she needs and i figure out what she wants from it. its usually when she needs a new diaper. or is thirsty, etc... it is very annoying. but its not as bad as it used to be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Give her a way to communicate. She's probably easily agitated b/c her brain is working faster than her mouth can speak. Give her sign language signs and teach her how to express herself. It's a good thing that she has frustration, b/c that's what helps them want to learn. It's not a good thing that she's biting or hitting herself or anyone else. You should try to redirect her anger, and teach her how to do something that's more appropriate. If she wants to bite or hit, let her do it to her pillow!
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 10:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My 22 month old does the same thing and has for a while. However just to reassure you it is VERY normal. My pedi says that you shouldn't reward them for it though, try walking off or just ignoring her. When she sees it doesn't get your attention she will eventually stop doing it. Over the past 2 months my son doesn't do it nearly as much as he did. But if you keep showing attention she knows it gets to you. I would teach her how to communicate with me without feeling frustrated... sign lauguage really helps
    neverwrong8682

Answer by neverwrong8682 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2008