well everyone i got my big fat positive. but i have an question can any moms tell me if brestfeeding really hurts i know its an benefit for ur child but thats what i wants to do and many ppl says it hurts, and you leaks alot. can anyone give me good advice on it before i get with the WIC People. thats the Women infant and children program.

hershey062006

Asked by hershey062006 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I suggest you try it first, if your doing it correctly it wont hurt.
    mommyg24

Answer by mommyg24 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• You will leak if you BF or not so invest in plenty of breast pads.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 9:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If the baby is not latched on right. It could hurt. When you first start if you let your boobs get to full it wil hurt alittle. But other than that it doensn't hurt. So don't let it scare you. I have breastfed five children. So good luck.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• first off congrates!
    it did not hurt me at all, but everyone different
    i only leaked first thing in am, when she woke me with her crying, long time since last fed and her crying=double wammy, but not much , just a few drops, i never used one breast pad-but again not everyone has is exerience
    as for WIC, you will not get coupons for fomula of course, maybe get some more for your nutrution, but i am not sure at all on this
    when i went in to have daughter, nurses aske if i was going to breast feed, i say i was going to try, they looked at me weird, but how in the hell would i know, i said i was going to try, but it is not somethign you can compare it to, so how would i know
    do not freak yourself out, or put too much pressure on yourself, relax & try it, i liked it, & did not need any nurse help, it was just natural after the first few hours when i never thought she could get her tiny mouth on my huge tits, but she did
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Correct positioning will not hurt. If it hurts, the baby is NOT latched on right. As for leaking - yes, you will leak. Forget about the cute little nursing pads that are expensive as hell and get a bag of carefree panty liners for a buck. Cut each one in half and VIOLA! Nursing pads that STICK in your bra and don't move around! YaY!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• The first few weeks can make you a little sore, just because nipples are not used to all the "attention" but it was never really painful for me. Earth Momma Angel Baby makes a nipple butter that soothes & conditions and is safe for baby so it doesn't need to be washed off before nursing. After a few weeks, when your boobs are used to the attention (LOL) & you & baby both have nursing figured out, it's no big deal. It shouldn't hurt. My baby bit me once after she got teeth and that hurts, but she only did it once. I took the breast away from her and told her no. She never did it again. Sometimes if baby is not latched on right it can hurt, but if your reposition & try again it usually fixes that. Breastfeeding shouldn't hurt. It is so amazing to have that time with baby too! I can't even tell you how wonderful nursing has been. I nursed exclusively for 6 months & am nursing twice a day (morning and before bed) at 21 months. GL!
    jelliebean1

Answer by jelliebean1 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Oh and I never leaked. ever. Best of luck to you!
    jelliebean1

Answer by jelliebean1 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If it were me, I'd definitely breastfeed. In fact I did, but didn't get in enough milk. So, I had to add the bottle for supplement. I loved nursing him and rocking in the chair. There's a closeness in breastfeeding that I never felt before or since. And, the baby receives some great immunities from our milk because we've had the usual childhood illnesses. It's one of life's little treasures. Try it, please.
    bleuidgramma

Answer by bleuidgramma at 10:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My first baby was so stubborn that I pumped milk and fed him with a silicone cup for 1.5 months. When he finally latched on after the first week or 2 it hurt really bad...my cousin told me to get a cream and some silicone (or something like that) nipple covers that help teach the baby how to latch on. after a day or 2 doing that he was nursing like a champ! (and did for 2 years). With my daughter I bought the nipple covers too just in case. She came 10 weeks early and one of her tasks to leave the NICU is to drink from a bottle (which I would pump milk for and take to the hospital)...I hated the bottles cause I wanted to nurse her. The nipple covers helped her learn to nurse and after 2 weeks of being home she was nursing NO bottles!
    As for the leaking, I leaked ALOT with my first but I don't think I leaked at all with my second. You'll figure it all out. Don't be afraid to try you never know how it will go =)
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 10:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It doesn't really hurt. It does take some time to get good at it. As for leaking, the best thing that I invested in was lilypadz. They are breastpads but they are reusable. I never leaked with them.
    You may need to try some different positions to breastfeed. I used 3 different ones.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2010