MY 5YR OLD SHOWED ME MY CATCH 22 TODAY

he got fussed at for not beiing polite an speaking to a older gentleman earlier..but he told me i told him not to speak to strangers..so if i dont want him to speak to strangers why do i keep trying to make him say hi to someone he doesnt even know..
my question is how do u make a child say hi to someone he doesnt know an still teach him not to speak to strangers??? cause now im not sure what to tell him now

FreeSpriT4eva

Asked by FreeSpriT4eva at 9:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There's a difference between talking to strangers when you're not with your parents, and when you are. If your mom is there and aware that someone is speaking to you, then its fine to say hello. That's what I've told my kids.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i was explaining to him that but he asked me what if i see this person again an they decide to speak again..wouldnt he still be considered a stranger?
    my response was that he would be still considered a stranger tho he spoke once but i think my hardest problem with it is that im surrounded by 300 known registered sex offenders..not sure how many are unregistered..so im trying to get as many answers to this question from all u other moms..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• So the answer to that is, it is ok to say hello or hi back to someone he doesnt know, that is being polite and having manners, but he does not need to hold a conversation with someone he does not know, and if they try he can say I am sorry I can not talk with strangers, any grown adult will accept this answer and understand, but i would explain it is ok to say hello, or hi have a nice day
    angelgrl5200

Answer by angelgrl5200 at 7:38 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yes, people say hi to others all the time, but anything more than that is a different story.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:29 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Actually I don't make my kids say or do anything with absolute strangers. One sweet old man tried to say hi to my youngest son and he ran over to me screaming. I told my kid he did a great job and I explained to the man that was what my kids are supposed to do if strangers approach them.
    Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, such as the first meeting with a new doctor, instructor, etc. And they are still warned that even people in their every day lives are considered strangers and they are never to go with them.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• my son has brought that up too - i agree with my and your son - dont talk to strangers over-rides being polite to ppl you dont know - if they give you that -"your child is rude look" just smile and say "we dont talk to strangers and we dont know you. - gotta be safe it is a dangerous world!" old people dont understand the modern world and its dangers. mainly they are wrapped up in their own lives like children and you shouldnt worry about the older generations approval because it is not important.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010