Froze my fresh cranberries, now how long to thaw before making sauce?

I'll be gone the next 2 days so should I just go ahead & get 'em out tonight?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• my sister always thaws them is a strainer until completely unfrozen otherwise too much liquid
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 10:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I don't thaw them at all. I throw the bags directly into the freezer (I buy them in bags in the fresh produce section, I have no idea how else they come) and when I want some I open the bag and measure however much I need and reclose the bag...

For sauce, I use a whole bag (I think it's 3c) with the juice of two oranges, put them on high until they boil then reduce heat and simmer until they're cooked down and saucy. Some people would strain them through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds, but I like the rustic feel.

Some people also add sugar, but I like the tartness with the orange juice, and if I think it's too sour I add a very small pinch of baking soda which neutralizes the acid instead of trying to make it go away with sugar (because there is no way you can get enough in to do that).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• You don't need to thaw frozen cranberries when making cooked sauce.
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 1:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• my mom makes hers with them still frozen - she grinds them up and makes it, i really do not know if it is cooked or uncooked, but it is the only cranberry sauce i like!
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:20 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You don't have to thaw them, it's better to use them from the frozen state. I always buy extra bags, freeze them and have them for later.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:28 AM on Nov. 23, 2010