US Commercial Banned (Nov 2010) ... No this one is NOT about TSA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOpyggmTmeE&feature=player_embedded

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It does not surprise me that there are people in power who don't want to be called on the choices they have made. I think the commercial should air, after all, isn't that what the freedom of speech is all about?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Who banned it? I can't find it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have seen this somewhere so I wonder if some network is playing it? I can't remember where I saw it but I believe it was on tv and not online.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• According to the post

A new television ad about the U.S. national debt produced by Citizens Against Government Waste has been deemed "too controversial" by major networks including ABC, A&E and The History Channel and will not be shown on those channels. The commercial is a homage to a 1986 ad that was entitled "The Deficit Trials" that was also banned by the major networks. Apparently telling the truth about the national debt is a little too "hot" for the major networks to handle. But perhaps it is time to tell the American people the truth. In 1986, the U.S. national debt was around 2 trillion dollars. Today, it is rapidly approaching 14 trillion dollars. The American Dream is being ripped apart right in front of our eyes, but apparently some of the major networks don't want the American people to really understand what is going on.
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• The truth is that the ad does not even have anything in it that should be offensive. The commercial is set in the year 2030, and the main character is a Chinese professor that is seen lecturing his students on the fall of great empires. As images of the United States are shown on a screen behind him, the Chinese professor tells his students the following about the behavior of great empires: "They all make the same mistakes. Turning their backs on the principles that made them great. America tried to spend and tax itself out of a great recession. Enormous so-called "stimulus" spending, massive changes to health care, government takeover of private industries, and crushing debt."

Perhaps it is what the Chinese Professor says next that is alarming the big television networks: "Of course, we owned most of their debt, so now they work for us".
    Gal51

• MissAlisabeth

We don't watch TV in our house since the "digital switch" so I wouldn't know if any other networks are playing it. I really hope they are.
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I don't know why they wouldn't want everyone to know the truth about our borrowing and spending habits. I mean, credit card companies had to redo the way they spelled out the terms of your borrowing on their statements to make it easier for the average person to understand how much they owe and how long it will take to pay off. Why wouldn't they require the same thing of the same people that put those requirements on credit card companies? A little 'do as I say, not as I do' from the feds.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I love the fact that our own government bailed out the Big 3 automakers and many different banks. I have a mortgage thru Bank of America or BOA. Husband got laid off last year. Ran out of benifits this yr. We called BOA to see if they can help with the mortgage # or anything they can do for us. After all it was our taxes that bailed thier dumb a$$ out! Anyway, we started paperwork back in July. They wanted so much info, financal especially. It was easier to file bankrupsky! We send them info, awhile later they want more financal info. This went back and forth for a few months. Then we learn earlier this month they can't/won't do anything. The bascially told us we pay up or we foreclose on your house by x-mas. We ended up selling off things we had for yrs to make our payment and past payments. Apparently, BOA is not taking part in that "hardest hit" thing we had going on.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:46 AM on Nov. 23, 2010