Mine

Has anyone seen "Mine" on Netflix instant? Really sad, really messed up. Its about the dogs and cats of Hurricane Katrina, the owners who abandoned them, the volunteers who rescued them, and the new families that adopted them....and all of the battles in between. (And that's saying nothing about the animals that weren't so lucky....)

Sarahsdawn

Asked by Sarahsdawn at 10:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Pets

• : (
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think it sounds sad and I will add it to my queue.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'm also adding it to my queue
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 6:22 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I've not seen that but I've seen a few episodes on hulu about animals left behind from Katrina on DOGTOWN.

Just seeing them starving up on the roofs of homes, for days/weeks.... surrounded by water, terrified. Broke my heart to watch those episodes.

How the hell can any HUMAN leave a loved family pet behind in a crisis! They damn sure did not leave their kids behind.

They have NO heart and I wished all would get in trouble for leaving them behind........I say there was no excuse for that at all!

It's great to see the ones they rescued, get new homes, yet so sad for those whom did not make it.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 6:56 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Well I think it is tragic, BUT have never lived through that kind of horror. So I would never judge. I think losing my pet or having to leave it behind would be heart wrenching, but if I am fighting for the survival of my family/children, you have to make hard heart breaking decissions.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:00 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• AAww...Thats sad.
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 6:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yeah, a lot of the people left well before the storm, and just left their family dogs and cats locked in the house with some food....so many died....Some animals that were abandoned were later rescued and adopted into loving families. Do you think that these folks were grateful that someone else took the initiative to volunteer their own time and effort to rescue the animal, get it back to health, and find and place it with a loving family?? In some cases, yes, but in other cases all they saw was "someone has MY animal. MINE. MINE. MINE." To the point of hiring a lawyer an suing to attempt to get their animal back.

One of the stories was about a very elderly lady who refused to leave town and abandon her dog. She was forced to leave, and her dog ran into the chaos. (not going to spoil it, so watch the movie if you'd like to know what happened.......)

Sarahsdawn

Comment by Sarahsdawn (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Sounds depressing. Never saw it.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 3:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2010